Tower of Babel

I've heard different sides. The tower of bable. When I read my bible it said they wanted to build a tower whose top was "in the heavens". TO ME that meant, a really really really tall tower. No cause for concern. Then I've heard people say they wanted to climb up and see God? It follows up saying he was mad that they realized they could accomplish anything they set their minds to and thats why he scattered them. Why would he do such a thing? People like to form groups, its in our nature, they like to distinguish themselves ie. group shirts, symbols, etc. They just wanted a tower to make a name for themselves.

is that so bad? worth throwing people all over the planet and confusing their language?

And if they did mean to climb up to God, where in the heck does it say that? All I know is that we all can read the same story and take it different ways. Thats how i took it and it just made me mad He did that.

katiladi

Asked by katiladi at 12:01 AM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• It is good you find The Holy Bible so fascinating,it is believe me I learn stuff new everyday go to Blue letter bible.com to find any verse you want. God is only good! I think it was a pride issue. Do not be angry at God you are the one confused!
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 12:17 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• It's a way for bible thumpers to explain different races and languages that are so different from each other. It's an ancient story that was borrowed from the Phonecians and other cultures. Read the Epic of Gilgamesh, it's a story that predates the books of the old testement by at least 1,000 years. There is a part in that story that is similar to the Tower of Babel.
    mehamil1

Answer by mehamil1 at 12:08 AM on Apr. 28, 2009