Is it alright to be giving my son crystal light/sugar free drinks?

My son is a rambunctious little boy who is just shy of 3. He is Josh. He does not drink milk. (Health reasons) He will drink water, but when I come inside and have a refreshing juice or what not. I feel he should get something special to drink too. He drinks this off brand of crystal light that tastes just as good as juice but not ruining his teeth with the sugar right? Am I taking the right approach to this situation or is just regular juice just fine sugar and all?

Jess_TheMom13

Asked by Jess_TheMom13 at 12:16 AM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Food & Drink

• My kids are way addicted to soda and I give them the generic crystal light all the time. I've tried the kool-aid but they don't seem to like it. Plus my son is and always has been a big boy. I want to keep his sugar and caloric intake down to a minimum. I always offer them water first because that is the best choice. But if that's a no go I offer milk and then the crystal light. My kids also don't like having to choose from 2 items. For some reason if I give them 3 choices, they feel like they are in control of what they get to drink. When I do the 3 choices, 4 times out of 5 they choose water or milk. I norrow it down to two only when they have had too much of the milk or "juice". Natural juice is fine, but the healthy intake is so small that I have to come up with other offers.
    greenmom4543

Answer by greenmom4543 at 4:15 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Personally I would choose to stick with water. JMO.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 12:18 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• sugar subitutes are more harmful than real sugar......

try making him kool aide with just a bit of sugar,,, tasts good and is very low in sugar since you cn sontrol how much goes in... plus cuts down on the chemicals in artifucal sweetners
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:35 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Sugar free drinks are not good for anybody. What they use to substitute is actually worse and they are doing more studies that are linking obesity to these sugar free and diet foods/drinks. Sugar free products contain sweeteners like aspartame that is bad for the brain(it has been said to actually kill brain cells). I would say regular or sugar free, just limit his intake. Every once in a while isn't going to hurt anything. I would choose organic juices with lower sugar.
    KadensMom907

Answer by KadensMom907 at 12:44 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I'm with above poster that has said that sugar substitutes are more harmful than natural sugar! At his age it probably is best to stick with water, milk and 4 oz. ( a day) of real fruit juice.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:24 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• No! Give him water. Make "eyeball" ice cubes with frozen blueberries or put slices of orange in the water. Make slushies and smoothies with frozen fruit, yogurt, water, ice, kale, whatever you have around.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:55 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I used to give it to my kids, mainly because of my hyper 5 year old. But then found out that the artificial sweetener is not good for you. Supposedly can cause cancer?! So I stopped giving it.
    momof4gbgg

Answer by momof4gbgg at 8:13 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• the first anonymous is right. Sugar subsitutes are worst then sugar-I beleive that none of them have the full backing of the FDA. That there should be a redflag. And don't kid yourslef have you ever read the ingredients in it? It's most processed chemicals.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:36 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• The only reason we use artificial sweetners is to help control the calories we intake. Your child should be okay with regular sugar, because they are more active and will burn those calories. I would just make some koolaid and put some real sugar in it. I think I had koolaid or sugar almost everyday growing up as a child and I am completely healthy, as I'm sure you are too. I would be more worried about what you feed him, such as fast food, etc. Give the kid sugar, let him live a little! lol
    miss_miranda

Answer by miss_miranda at 8:46 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I would just stick with water. But I understand that you would like to give your son something special to drink every once in a while, I know I do. Stick with real juice. First of all it's better for him with the vitamins and all. Plus, natural sugar found in fruits is WAY better for him than the aspartame found in Crystal Light. And in moderation, natural sugar is not bad. Do your research on aspartame and you will see why. http://www.mercola.com/article/aspartame/hidden_dangers.htm
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:55 AM on Apr. 28, 2009