Overweight parents limiting kids' intake?

How do you feel about overweight parents limiting what their kids can have if the kids dont have weight issues? And do you feel it is detrimental to their health in the long run?

5isenoughforme

Asked by 5isenoughforme at 12:25 AM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I think it is a good idea and I commend them for trying to prevent their kids from having the same problems they had. Yes the kids might not have a weight issue now, but with the parent's limiting the amount of junk and other crap food they eat, there is a chance they might never have a weight issue. It is much better than letting them eat whatever they want and allowing the kids to become overweight.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:27 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• i agree.. i am over weight and even if i wasnt i wouldnt let my 3 year old eat a ton of junk.. he has his fare share but he also loves good foods like cheese nd yogurt
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 12:29 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• i think alot has to do with the parents being scared that theyre kids will turn out to be like them, and no parent ever wants that for their child(ren)..im an overweight mom, so i am more self conscience of what i feed my child, but, she stil gets to have junk once in a while, just in moderation..and thats what i need to learn for myself!! i do think that not giving any child junk can cause issues down the road..the kid is just gonna make up for what they felt like they lost out on, now thats jut what i think, i dont know for certain..but..like i said i do think a lil buevery once in a while has no harm in it
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:30 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I'm overweight and I limit what my son eats even at 9 months. I want to teach him healthy eating habits from the beginning, unlike the way I was raised. I don't expect to keep him from ever learning about or even eating happy meals, but I do intend to make sure he knows these things aren't healthy and should only be eaten sparingly. I also want to broaden his knowledge of healthy foods. There are so many healthy options out there that just aren't very common and kids think are "yucky" cuz they aren't raised to like them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:33 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• i'm not overweight my mother was until i was about 13, my only problem with her telling us we couldn't have things, was she would turn around and hide the same things in her room and have them herself. i honestly believe the only reason none of us got overweight when we started working and going crazy getting junk food ourselves, was we all had "labor" jobs (lifegaurd, waitress etc) and played alot of sports. i don't think its fair to just tell your kids they have to do something, you should show them as well
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:37 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I wouldnt limit what they could eat but they would eat healthy diets. My mother was overweight and ice cream cookies soda and chips were our household staples. I currently am an emotional eater who is overweight and I refuse to be the same example my parents were for me. Cake is alright here and there but a balanced diet truly does make you a healthier person you just feel better
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 12:40 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• just adding tht i think parents should also lead by example.. i try very hard to but being an emotional eatier its hard.. i do buy fruiot snacks and gold fish crackers and stuff like that for my son,,, and we do have a bag of candy.. but he maybe gets 2 piece a day if that... i think if you deprive a child of something so severly that they never have it then when they are allowed or offered it then they are going to go over board......
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 12:47 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I'm overweight and have been most of my life and I refuse to let my kids eat the way I do (old habits are hard to break). They probably eat bigger portions then they should but I try to make the meals balanced with lots of veggies, etc. Instead of junk I always ate for snacks (chips and cookies and stuff) they have fruit and healthy snacks. They drink only water during the day.
    But I don't forbid the junk food (that just leads to more problems). They are allowed soda and stuff when we go out to eat or as a treat. We still have chips and ice cream and cookies. It's just once in awhile.
    So far my kids are all normal weight except my oldest who is underweight.
    And yes, I eat much healthier now, too.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:07 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I was an over weight child and I watch my kids closely. We do everything in moderation. Three of my kids are thin and eat normally and one child takes more after myself. She craves carbs and sugar and though shes thin and doesnt have a weight problem, I just watch her. I don't make a difference but I do do portion control on her. I keep her active. She plays sports and I noticed the other day her legs are getting super muscular and shes getting taller...yay! Shes almost 11 and is 4'10 and weighs 90 lbs.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:21 AM on Apr. 28, 2009