Used or New

What do you think is not ok to buy used......... I am thinking bottles and carseats. Anything else out there you think would not be ok to get used?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:27 AM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Pregnancy

• you can do a used car seat, i would just not get one from someone you don't know b/c you don't know if they are lying about wether or not its been in a wreck. on the bottom of seats is the date it was made (they expire after 5 yrs for most), and the model info so you can check on recalls. just try to get model numbers on anything you get used, that way you can make sure it wasn't recalled. otherwise aside from bottles, opened diapers (not used obviously but open pack unused), or formula i wouldn't see any problem with getting anything else used. just check clothes, and burb clothes etc to make sure there aren't bad spit up stains
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:32 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• its not like you cant wash used bottles or car seats, do you know how expensive car seats are?!?!? i would say cloth diapers, those nose suckers stuff like that
    Breezy1988

Answer by Breezy1988 at 12:32 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I agree with the first poster on car seats. Used seats can be dangerous!
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 12:34 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• wash cloths and towels. I personally wouldn't buy bibs used either just because they are cheap finds and usually stand easily.
    Mommy2Mariah

Answer by Mommy2Mariah at 12:34 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• i got both of my car seats from people i know
    Breezy1988

Answer by Breezy1988 at 12:35 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Cribs have some safety concerns because they could be recalled and you wouldn't know it. Just make sure you check out the item numbers and check for recall info.
    Most other things can be sanitized. Why buy new when it will looked used after one washing?
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 12:38 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• not a car seat you dont know if it has been either recalled or in a car accident
    Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 12:55 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Carseats are fine if you trust that person with your child's life - like your sister or BFF. Not just some random person.

I wouldn't do used bottles either because plastics start to get old and leak chemicals.

Cribs, make sure the slats are safe. You shouldn't be able to put a coke through it. Matress, put a sack of potatos on it and leave it there for awhile. If it leaves an indentation get a new matress.

Cloth diapers are awesome used! One of the main reasons to cloth diaper is to be nicer to our environment. Recycling is a great way to do that. Just make sure you strip them when you buy them. I bought almost all of DD's cloth diapers used and then resold them.

Toys and clothes are great used as well.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 1:03 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• used car seats are fine and so are bottles but you might want to buy the nipples new.
    feelgoodinc

Answer by feelgoodinc at 1:47 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I think used car seats are okay, but just be careful. I would not use used bottles, pacifiers, bibs, underclothes, socks, ect. Used strollers, cribs, bedding, high chairs.....all good.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:18 AM on Apr. 28, 2009