Can a private school LEGALLY hold a child's transcript when they change schools?

I'll try and give the short version. 2 years ago I sent my son to a private (Christian) school (had to pay tuition). It wounded up not being as good of a choice as we'd hope. With that and the economy and not being able to afford the tuition we put him back in public school. He's been back in public for almost 5 months. We were told we couldn't get his transcripts transferred until all money was caught up. I talked to the Pastor (yes, the pastor) and explained we needed his transcripts. He reassured me they'd send them. They never did! The school requested them and they still haven't. In the meantime, my son had some problems with some kids from the private school (mostly with the Pastor's son). I am now beginning to think they're using this against my son. My son is suppose to graduate next year but got behind in 8th grade and failed. Then after coming back to the public school, he got even farther behind...cont

BrendaMomOf3

Asked by BrendaMomOf3 at 1:00 AM on Apr. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• I googled this and so far the only answer I have found is yes they can. I know how rough it is to owe money and try to pay it off. I think if you made at least payment arrangements it would go along way. The least they could do is give you a copy.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:20 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Yes, just like a college. If you don't pay or owe money they can withold
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:06 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• because a lot of the classes didn't transfer (like Bible) so he lost those credits. Starting next year he was going to be in the GED EXIT program. That means he'd go to school everyday like all students but would take his GED and then graduate with his class. They can not do this until they get the transcripts from the private school. The guidance counselor said it was illegal to hold transcripts from one public school to another- ya know how they tell you "you owe money for books so we won't transfer your stuff"? They can't legally do that. BUT private school are different. If money is owed they supposeably can hold them. Is this legal? Because of this, my son will not be able to enter the EXIT program and means he'll be further behind. Because of this he is wanting to quit school NOW and join the military. He doesn't want to go school for another 2 years. I feel he's getting shafted! Yeah, for those who want to tell me to p
    BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 1:06 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Check your contract and see if it says it in there
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:08 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• pay the money, we're on a payment plan. We're talking about a Christian school. Do they think this is in the best interest of the child? I was told more than once they would transfer them.
    BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 1:08 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• at this point i think i'd be ok with him quiting and getting his GED. its better than him getting further and further behind.
    bare121807

Answer by bare121807 at 1:10 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I dont think they are legally able to do that. transcripts are public LEGAL documents. they can deny giving them to anyone BUT the new school and to you. Thats not right that they are holding them.
    from what i have been told, because the school gets paid to give the child the education and take the tests required, so for them to with hold the transcripts and information is kinda like committing fraud. making the work uncredited and pretty much "non existant" wasting the states dollars that pay them for giving the child education. not to mention wasting your dollars.
    definantly not legal.
    trystons_mommy

Answer by trystons_mommy at 1:12 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I think the military is a great idea. I am sorry and I understand wanting him to graduate but if he will get a GED anyway I think its best to just let him. Sorry I am not of much help good luck!
    kristalee83

Answer by kristalee83 at 1:17 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Exactly- the whole 2 years he was there is kinda like non-existing now.
    I am calling our school board tomorrow to get more info. I asked another question in the 13-17 year olds explaining what he plans on doing. But I don't think he'd be so dead set about it right now if he could start the EXIT program and actually graduate next year.
    He talked with his guidance counselor today and that's how I found out they never sent the transcripts. Why they haven't said anything recently is beyond me.
    BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 1:19 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Also you can go to r school and tell them if you don't leave with transcripts in hand they can talk to your lawyer. If you have to did your local legal aid for assistance. Good luck
    kristalee83

Answer by kristalee83 at 1:20 AM on Apr. 28, 2009