She hates juice...any ideas?

I'm not the worlds biggest juice fan, but my DD gets constipated VERY easy. We do the high fiber foods, and prunes when we have to, but i have heard a little juice every once in a while can help. i have tried apple, and pear.. she gags on them both! Is there anything else that is gentle to help with the constipation? (she drinks PLENTY of fluid! about 26 oz. of formula a day, and doesn't eat applesauce-it constipates-or bananas)

tatmum

Asked by tatmum at 1:01 AM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• have you tried watering it down?
    HunnysFarAway

Answer by HunnysFarAway at 1:10 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Well, keep a couple things in mind:
    Apple juice actualy makes things worse for some people. If she's having problems with applesauce, skip apple juice.
    High fiber without enough fluids will make things worse. But milk products don't count.
    Milk products (including formula) will make things worse.

I'd try prune juice. Since she likes prunes, give it a try. You may need to water it down but that's fine too.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:11 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• try prune juice, water the juice down also try feedin her pears. my litle boy had that problem and luckily liked juice, but I just know pears always kept him pretty regular! Not sure if your's is old enough yet, but raisins are great too!
    batsonsgirl

Answer by batsonsgirl at 1:18 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Make tea from fennel seed (yes, the fennel seed in the spice aisle). About 1 tbsp of fennel seed will make a pot of tea. It should be a light to medium amber color when it is done steeping. Start with 2 oz, and work up 1 oz every 12 hours until constipation is relieved (it usually took about 4 oz for my DD). For example, start with 2 oz, then 12 hours later 3 oz, then 12 hours later 4 oz, etc. My DD wouldn't drink it at first, but I put a little pinch of sugar in & she drank it right up. Oh, and refrigerate it when not in use. It can be served warm or cold.
    Good luck! HTH!
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 4:07 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Your instincts are right, juice is not for infants (really, no one needs it); in fact sugar can be constipating. Give her water or weak chamomile tea, and high fiber foods: mashed beans, mashed sweet potatoes, mashed brown rice, avocado. Super Baby Foods is probably the world's best book on feeding babys, you should be able to find it at your local library. www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 5:07 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Try watering down the juice. My kids never liked full strength juice, either.

While no one needs juice, it is usually recommended for constipation issues. While she is getting plenty of liquids, formula itself can be constipating, I had two sons who had problems there. One ended up on soy formula (helped him go even though it was still pellet-y) and the other on Gentlease for a while until he was going then he was able to go back on regular.

Talk to the pediatrician about it, for sure. Just to be sure. You're feeding fiber foods already...maybe she's going to need a "dose" of prunes each day? I know I had to find a balance between formula (and later milk) and juice to keep my two going. (too much milk, they still stop up a bit)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:37 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Dont feel bad.....my DD hates juices too! I just give her about 2oz of just plain water every other day, and I also give her pedialyte (sp?) to keep up the electrolytes (sp?). If constipation is a big problem, you can get those infant suppositories. They worked great with my DD.

lilmans_mommy

Answer by lilmans_mommy at 10:03 AM on Apr. 28, 2009