Will neutering my dog help potty train him?

I have a very sweet & loving BUT stupid dog! He's a three year old Chihuahua mix & I have never been able to potty train him.
On this last trip to the vet they said he had an enlarged prostate. I have an appointment to neuter him next week & I’m wondering if this will help with him peeing in the house? But I’m sure the pooping will still be an issue!
Create training was a horrible idea, it did not work for our dog. He just pooped in the cage then sat in it & or cried the whole time he was in it. Rubbing his noise in it didn’t work either. We tried putting him outside for a few hours after he ate & didn’t give him water for the rest of the night & he still had accidents.
Now a days he doesn’t even hide the fact that he’s peeing in the house he just lefts leg right in front of us after only five minutes in the house.
What can we do with this dog, is he just going to have to be an outside dog the rest of he's days??

Torty_Mama

Asked by Torty_Mama at 1:24 AM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Pets

• I would have just said to crate train him. My dog used to pee and poop in the house and not matter what I did he kept on. Then I started putting him the the cage and he learned not to or he would go back in the cage.. I also put fear in him to do it.. Right now we are having an issue with my bestfriends dog who is doing the same thing as yours except my husband and I are the ones disciplining it. My bestfriend doesnt do anything.. and our house smells horrible!
    augusta.flores

Answer by augusta.flores at 2:00 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• If you have potty training issues crate training works. I taught my rescued 8 month old bichon/shih tzu be house trained in about a month.

Here is a good link for any dog training issue, they have a lot of knowledgeable people here as well.
    http://www.victoriastilwell.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=4&sid=ff0fed91fe9c4fbfa43c939a4c1b6dc8
    Wlknshoes42mile

Answer by Wlknshoes42mile at 9:07 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Yes it will help. Lifting the leg is usually marking the territory which it will help. My dog was neutered at 6 months and has never lifted his leg. He squats like a girl. But as far as the pooping goes don't leave him outside that long. He is associating potty time with play time as soon as he goes bring him in. Give him 5 min to gp and then bring him in.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:41 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Neutering is a great idea, but isn't going to work for house breaking. You need to start over from square one. Treat him like a puppy. If he's going in the crate, the crate is too big. Until he is fully house broken the crate shouldn't be any bigger than big enough for him to lay down and turn around. Keep him in your sights at all times. When he starts to go, stop him and take him outside. Don't just leave him out there for a couple of hours. Put him on a leash and stay out there with him until he goes. Give him a super yummy treat that you only use for potty when he does go. If he doesn't go within about five or ten minutes, go back inside and back into the crate. Try again 10-20 minutes later. Small dogs can't hold it as long as other dogs, too, so he will need to go more often than other dogs even as an adult. He's gone in the house all this time, he can probably smell it and he'll keep going in those places.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:41 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• You need to get some sort of enzyme cleaner like Nature's Miracle and clean all the areas that he's gone on with it. Even if you can't smell it doesn't mean he can't. Their sense of smell is way better than ours.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:43 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• NO
    Anonymous

• YES!!! Because it will take away some of the urge to mark his territory.

babymomma0306

Answer by babymomma0306 at 3:54 AM on Apr. 30, 2009