how can I get my 3 yr old son to sit down, behave and listen to the teacher while in class.

My son listens to me when we study at home. However, he doesn't sit still and listen when in class. I tried to coordinate with the teacher regarding discipline. It just doesn't seem to work. I'm tired of watching him misbehave in class and reading other peoples thoughts about my son. Please help.

mom2219

Asked by mom2219 at 1:27 AM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• O.K. why is he in formal class at age 3? I'm not criticizing but often children this young are not ready for formal classroom settings. Unless he has some sort of special needs that he needs early intervention he may just not be ready for formal school. If you are a stay at home mom you can teach him all the skills he needs, then when he is a year older put him into preschool for the social skills. The other option is a less structured environment, a less structured classroom in a different preschool or day care, even a home day care where the care provider is able to do more one on one type activites for learning.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 1:37 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• could possible have ADD.. might want to get him checked.. if not try rewarding him for a good day at school. Tell him he will get a surprise when he gets home if he is good at school. Or disciplining him for not behaving at school
    augusta.flores

Answer by augusta.flores at 1:49 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Oh for petes sake. The kid is three. He is not capable of sitting for periods of time. Read a parenting book.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:04 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this. I do know that he's just 3, and may be just acting as one. I do feel terrible for comparing him with his classmates who seems to behave themselves. It's a summer school for a month, consists of 8 students per class, which runs for 2 hours (30 min break included). He's on his 2nd week. I see progress and enthusiasm but feel ashamed when he runs around and can't sit still, which ruins the concentration of the whole class.

I was thinking that it might be ADD, but he does not act that way at home. Could it be that he's bored? If he is what can I do? Tried reward system and time-outs.
    mom2219

Answer by mom2219 at 3:46 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Do not compare your child to other children, ever, for any reason.
    It sounds to me like he is bored; we went through this in kindergarten because our daughter was on waiting lists for every gifted program in the city. It is important to keep his brain stimulated; get some fun pre-K workbooks for him and let him sit on your lap or snuggle with you; if he can sit still for 15 minutes and work on these, then he does not have an attention issue.
    So much of kids' attention issues is tied to the nasty additves the food companies put in what they try to sell to us. There is a lot of information here: www.feingold.org. You can also look into supplementing with fish oil, flaxseed oil or hemp oil.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:47 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• At three he shouldn't be expected to sit still in a formal setting. My 5 year old is ADHD and it's not common to be diagnosed at his age, let alone at three (unless it's extreme)

If it was ADD/ADHD it would be consistent at home and at school. It could be boredom, it could be new things in the classroom, it could be the teacher isn't as strict as you are at home, too. Even following the same discipline tactics, there are different levels of tolerance between people.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:48 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Ummm, he's 3. Short attention spans at that age and there's nothing you can do abou tit. Kids learn BEST through play at that age...not sitting down for long periods of time. They're very active when they're young and should be allowed to move around.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:29 AM on Apr. 28, 2009