Txt talk in post's

i have got alot of criticism about some of my post's having "txt" lingo in them, i don't see what is so wrong with it, unless they dont understand it, of coarse. most of the time i am online on my cell phone rathr than my laptop and its just habbit when im on my cell to type it like i would txt it. ive heard its "ignorant, and u cant b taken seriously if u use txt talk" what is so ignorant about it, its just a version of short hand, but more modern?!! is it mostly older people who think this way? how am i ignorant for typing this way, are these critics to out of touch with modern society to accept the changes in some "just for fun" posting such as on cafemom,rather than if i were typing a paper for my college classes, or the CEO i do office work for?

kyliebugs_mommy

Asked by kyliebugs_mommy at 1:45 AM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• meh, whatev. Its probably the same people who are overly anal about spelling and typos too.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 1:50 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• don't bother me at all...i use it all the time... ppl need 2 seriously get over themselves.... IT'S JUST CM!!
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 2:17 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• it bothers me, because in the politics section, those who use "text speak" come across as juvenile/young/naive, and not intelligent. this country is going to pot really fast, and "omg, did u hear bout da prez" doesn't really convey a well-thought out question or response.

i'm going to venture to guess that those who you who write in "text speak" when posting or responding to serious questions voted for obama...which just goes to prove our point that he snookered all of the young, hip and clueless into voting for him! "whatev!"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:44 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I don't believe JuliansMommy voted for Obama so you just insulted one of your own.

It shouldn't matter HOW someone types, as long as you understood it. It can get annoying sometimes when you're not up to date on the abbreviations, but I've seen worse spelling and grammer on HS student's assignments.
    LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 9:32 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• i'm going to venture to guess that those who you who write in "text speak" when posting or responding to serious questions voted for obama...which just goes to prove our point that he snookered all of the young, hip and clueless into voting for him! "whatev!"

IGNORANT!!!! Juliansmommy didn't even vote for Obama!!! Tell me how Obama got the vote of middle aged Americans?

Anyways, to answer the question I don't see a problem with it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• It doesn't bother me as long as you don't type lyk dyz 2 myk yoo l00k cooL.
    I don't mind abbreviations at all though.
    MandyOs

Answer by MandyOs at 9:48 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• And one more comment. When was this a question about Obama. LOL
    I must have missed it!
    MandyOs

Answer by MandyOs at 9:49 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• The third post accused people who text type of voting for Obama and being clueless and stupid.
    So THAT is when it became about Obama.
    LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 10:21 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Some people are picky and not as educated in txtng as others so it upsets them when they have to think hard to figure out the words. They should just go on to another question and not strain their brain.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:38 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I read somewhere here on cafemom that it was discouraged in the questions section.

OP, personally, I am not a texter. I don't have time. Because of that I am not familiar with the lingo. I skip questions and/or answers sometimes because I don't have the time to "interpret" them.

itsmesteph11, you don't have to be tacky about it. It is because I am EDUCATED that I don't have time for a lot of texting. You see I spend most of my day WORKING not playing with my phone.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 1:00 PM on Apr. 28, 2009