28 months...

My daughter is 28 Months, and still isn't talking.
We're taking her to speech therapy, but I am still not seeing any results... I am at my wits end...

and My family keeps saying "she'll talk when shes ready" but I hear 16-20 month olds speaking in complete sentences...

I am a frazzled momma.
My 10 month old speaks better then Her. He said fish, and ellee, and momma, and daddy and eat, and i love you, and hi!

Ellee [[DD]] can say "please, pop, nana, dada, thank you, fish, & whats that"

TheTara

Asked by TheTara at 2:05 AM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't have much to add but *HUGS*. And I agree with a hearing test!
    Good Luck, Mama.
    monkeyberry

Answer by monkeyberry at 12:48 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• The speech therapist should have given you exercises to work on at home, if not them you need to find a new one immediately; early intervention is important. You can also search the internet for online resource and exercises that you can do with her.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:30 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• You dont' mention how you connected up with a speech therapist but if you didn't try your state's early intervention program, you might want to get in touch with them. Our state does all of the therapy in our house which makes it easier for him. My son took a good two months of therapy 2x a week (increased to 3x) before he started to show any improvement. Now he's suddenly taking off. It made me crazy to hear other kids his age talking in sentences too but he's getting there. Hang in there!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:55 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• So your DD *can* talk. she just chooses not to. I know you said she's in speech therapy, but did hse have hearing tests? Sometimes that can delay speech as well. And some kids really do just start talking when they are ready, so don't dismiss your family too quickly.

If the speech therapist isn't helping, it might be worth finding another. THey should be talking to you about progress and possible issues/solutions.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• You have to work with your child in your home. Do not just depend on the therapist to have a magical impact on your child. You need to step up to the task and do what is needed for your daughter.
    Anonymous

• Its not like I just stop talking to her, because she wont talk, Nobody ever said it would be easy, nor am i expecting that...
    Im just a concerned mother...

TheTara

Answer by TheTara at 3:25 AM on Apr. 29, 2009