How do I handle Behavior Issues in School that have gotten out of hand?

I am a single mom of a very smart 8 year old boy, he is a special needs child with learning disabilitys, as well as ADD/ADHD. There have been some behavior issues at school and I have tryed alot to corect thease behaviors, However the behaviors when I am not around have gotten out of hand. Now they suggested he go to the hospital and the hospital in my home town wants to ship him out to a pshycatric hospital in a different city 9 hours away from my home. I need advice quickley I want to keep him here in my home town, so I can see him and talk to him, The hospital he is going to will not allow me to stay there with him, and I would only be allowed one hour a day to visit with him. I personally dont think that sending him away is the answer, But the hospital insists that this is the right thing for him. Please Please Help!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:49 AM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Kids' Health

• uhhhh.... thats a tough one!!! im sorry i dont have any advice god bless you!! i too dont agree with sending him away
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:16 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• What is he doing at school? If he isn't doing something dangerous to himself or others, I wouldn't follow the advice of sending him away. That would mess him up more than anything.
    Gremlyn

Answer by Gremlyn at 6:13 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• i wouldnt send him away he need's you.your the only one that understand him every mom know what their kids need or want when thier just baby's and as they get older we understand even more about them. and you only getting to see him for an houd a day is bull i cant even go with only seeing my girls for an hour .
    jennabadillo

Answer by jennabadillo at 10:46 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Is he in counseling to begin with? I don't know if I would send him 9 hours away, if it was local then I would consider it. I would do whatever is best for my son and will help him out but it wouldn't be 9 hours away. Sending him away for treatment wouldn't mess him up more, it would help him if the program is a good program.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:10 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• This is tough. There are many things that you can do at home.
    Your son should be in therapy with someone who is an expert at helping children use ADD/ADHD as a benefit. Syndicated radio host Thom Harttmann has written extensively on this: http://www.thomhartmann.com/category/thom/adhd-education/
    You need to understand the link between childrens behavior and what they eat. There is wonderful information from the Feingold organization: www.feingold.org.
    Many children with behavior issues are helped with fish oil and other supplements.
    Good luck and please let me know how you are doing.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:39 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• ok i am just telling you what i have seen.ive been to those places before as a patient and also a helper...we have a place like that around the corner from where we live.my thinkinking is that they think he has a phsycological problem that is doing this besides the add ect..i think i would have a phsyc evaluation on him first.cause there going to do this anyway.the state has to pay for it.i find these places really dont do much good.i am not a dr i just know what ive seen there going to do alot of talking in group settings and such...some kids are good with this some arent...
    raineydays377

Answer by raineydays377 at 2:54 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• My SS has a lot of the same issues and his first hospital stay was at 9 yo after he kicked me in the stomach when I was 7 1/2 months pregnant me and the baby where fine but my SS had to go to a hospital. It did wounders for him for a little while but he has been in and out of hospitals since then but we have friends who there children went in once and it made a world of difference so all I can say is try thinking from you childs eyes and see if it would be the best for him to get the help he probably so desprately needs.
    X-mansmommy870

Answer by X-mansmommy870 at 2:17 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• okay I know this might sound quirky but my niece had problems similar to this and she and the Pediatrician doesn't like to just assume it is ADHD and give meds. So my grand nephew drinks a cup of coffee every morning and it has helped turn it around 100 % Of course it is a flavored coffee so he enjoys it. She just bought the instant latte coffee's and the General Foods instant International coffee's. I said it was quirky but it works. I really don't think sending your child away is the best answer. Summer break is soon so you could use this time to work with hum. Good Luck to you Mum.
    decafsis

Answer by decafsis at 11:51 PM on May. 7, 2009