If the CDC delcares full blown swine flu pandemic, will you pull your child from school?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:18 AM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• worry about that when it comes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:06 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Mine aren't old enough to be in school yet, but no I would not. This flu is no more CONTAGIOUS then the regular flu so we will just be taking the same precautions we take all winter long. For those who have good diets and are not otherwise immune suppressed and have access to good health care then it is really no worse then the regular flu either.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:14 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Same as previous poster! Thanks to regular vaccinations and having received their annual flu shot (last winter), we're good! I will simply keep a watchful eye on early warning signs, but in the meantime, give them extra baths, have them wash their hands more frequently and use hand sanitizer in between--just to HELP a little more!

Because I let my children actually play in the dirt, and do not live in an "antibacterial sterile environment" like so many moms feel the need to do to protect their precious snowflakes, my children are LESS likely to contract ANY common type of virus--or at least be able to fend it off, BECAUSE their immune systems have been strengthened by repeated exposure to microbes in dirt and commonly touched objects.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:21 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Because I let my children actually play in the dirt, and do not live in an "antibacterial sterile environment" like so many moms feel the need to do to protect their precious snowflakes, my children are LESS likely to contract ANY common type of virus--or at least be able to fend it off, BECAUSE their immune systems have been strengthened by repeated exposure to microbes in dirt and commonly touched objects.

That doesn't work with the swine flu. That's why the CDC is so worried about it. It appears the stronger immune system you have, the stronger the virus attacks your system. Also, where it came from a swine, it is far enough from other viruses your LO has ever had. That's why it's so contagious. Our bodies don't recognize it.
    smalltowngal

Answer by smalltowngal at 7:29 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• actually the immune systems dont matter in this case so your dirtball is no safer than my snowflake.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:29 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• It depends on the virulence of the virus. If there is no more risk of death than seasonal flu, probably not. If there is significant mortality from this virus (more than the usual flu), than yes. It is also quite possible that the gov't will close public schools anyhow should a pandemic be declared, since children are such efficient spreaders of flu. My kids are all home today with rotten colds and pink eye... should there be confirmed cases in the next few days in our area I may just keep them home a little longer, depending on what info is available about risk at that point.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 7:41 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I think instead of attacking each other as it is normally done in this forum, which is exactly why I post anoy. we should be trying to give each others ideas on how we can protect our LO, but that's not going to happen just the same ole catty BS it's actually disgusting, leave it to the female race.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:45 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I am not real sure if I would or not....I watched a press conference they had yesterday on my local news station so I would be more informed but it's really going to be dependent upon what progesses over the next weeks/months.
    Mom's don't feel invinsible because you or your children had the flu shot, this is a different strain of flu and that flu shot means nothing, it won't protect you. Stress your kids to wash there hands as well as you and your spouse and that could really make a big difference.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:50 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• actually, di you know that the "earthy crunchy" moms who insist on not vaxing their kids, and eat all kinds of probiotic laden and organic foods, are actually at a higher INCREASED risk for contracting the swine flu?!

That's because the bodies of those people have higher amounts of chitokins (sp?), which actually magnifies the intensity of this particular strain of flu virus! So add that to a non-vaxed body, and this just may be a recipe for disaster! good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:54 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I don't think people realize how much hand washing is required too. It's not just once an hour. It's believed the virus can live up to 48 hours on surfaces so you need to wash your hands or use purel every time you touch money, door handle, atm buttons, telephone, handrail, etc unless you're extremely good about never scratching your face. . That would be impossible with my 2.5 year old so she can play in the backyard for now.
    smalltowngal

Answer by smalltowngal at 8:06 AM on Apr. 28, 2009