How can I get my 8 month old to take a bottle....she refuses?!

She is a breastfed baby, but I am ready to wean her. She refuses to take a bottle, no matter what kind I try. I have also tried soft spout sippy. My neighbor lady has tried too, when I'm gone. She just screams & cries.

momof4gbgg

Asked by momof4gbgg at 8:08 AM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We tried to transition from breast to bottle for our little guy when he was around 7 months but it just didn't work. I toughed it out until he was 12 months and then decided to wean him. Surprisingly he was ready too. Each night I had a plan to nurse for a few minutes less and each night he just became less interested in nursing. He would unlatch and look around, etc. So, I was done and he was done. All I can say is to hang in there. Give her a little more time and she may do it on her own too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:19 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• My son is the same way. He WILL NOT take a bottle of breastmilk what so ever. I bought this Nuby sports sipper (I think its called, it is a nuby though) and he will drink water and juice out of that, but not breastmilk. So I'm toughing it out and hopefully he will wean himself more and more once he gets more and more solids. I also got a Nuby sippy cup with straw, and I put water or juice in them usually all 3 at a time and set them in front of him and let him just play and get use to them. Try that.
    Good Luck :)
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:31 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Have someone else offer the bottle when you are not in the room or use a sippy cup (sigg or another stainless steel). The World Health Organization recommends breastfeeding for a minimum of two years.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:25 PM on Apr. 28, 2009