So this morning I had to look up the difference between a "pandemic" and an "epidemic." Does this make me stupid?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:31 AM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Well a pandemic just means that a new infectious and contagious disease is spreading of many locations, so technically it is a pandemic since it goes by area not by volume.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:37 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Well if Your stupid then I am too cuz I dont know either????
    bristle3kids

Answer by bristle3kids at 8:33 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• No, but I find it really irritating that the news people are trying to scare people about a pandemic when there haven't been very many cases of that flu reported.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 8:33 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• No. I accidently call the flu of 1918 an epidemic all the time even though it's technically a pandemic.
    smalltowngal

Answer by smalltowngal at 8:37 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Right, but that isn't what the news people want us to think. They want us to think "pandemic" and have apocalyptic visions of half the worlds population dying. It just bothers me, them trying to throw people in a panic.

ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 8:42 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Your right! That's exactly why I had to look up the difference! I was actually a little surprised, kind of like "That's it?? That's a pandemic?" They make it sound interchangeable with the plague.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:45 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• No, it makes you want to be informed
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:27 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• No you are just educating yourself. :P
    MandyOs

Answer by MandyOs at 9:30 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Right! Yahoo is my homepage and the last couple of days they're showing pictures of people in paper masks....it is really annoying. They use the term "global pandemic" and project all these scary worse case scenarios. In reality, it isn't that bad. And there are new illnesses all the time, its just that some are worse than others. Could there be another plague or Spanish flu? Yes, but freaking people out isn't going to help!

ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 9:34 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Kudos to you for looking it up! It's irritating when people use "big words" incorrectly because they want to sound knowledgeable. They end up sounding uneducated and ignorant. Good for you!

Moonrush

Answer by Moonrush at 9:56 AM on Apr. 28, 2009