what kinds of shots should i expect at the 1 month visit?

being a new mom...im not sure what to expect about shots & the effects of them on a newborn...can you all share your stories/experiences with them?

vanessaxoxo

Asked by vanessaxoxo at 8:33 AM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I thought preventing a fever was the point of giving your child Tylenol before getting the shots.

At the 2 month visit our pediatrician came in to the room and gave us a run down of each shot to see which ones we wanted to do. If your pediatrician doesn't automatically do this I would ask him/her to. It was nice to hear everything from him (he's a close family friend that we trust) and get some advice. We decided to go with the normal schedule.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 11:16 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• First shots are generally given at the 2 month visit.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:37 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Mine didn't get any at 1 month. If you think your pediatrician might give some, then you'll need to call the office and have them tell you.

As for when they did get shots, there wasn't really reaction in any of my boys. Nothing big, anyway. I gave Tylenol about 1/2 hour before the shots and then a dose every 6 hours for the next 24 hours for discomfort, at each diaper change I moved their legs around (bicycle motion, walking, running motions, deep knee bends, etc) so their leg muscles didn't stiffen up and a cool or warm compress (depending on which kid) of there was any swelling at the injection site (one did better with cool, the other warm and the other never needed it) The only other thing was they tended to sleep for the next full day.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:38 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• NEVER give a baby/child tylenol BEFORE shots! It can mask a fever and lead to many more complications with vaccinations.
    Emmoney

Answer by Emmoney at 8:47 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• My daughter had tylenol before and after her shots like the doctor said to help ease the pain of it. If they get a fever the tylenol will not stop it. You can expect a liquid vaccine along with 2 shots. They usually don't do shots until 2,4,6,9 and 12 months. Expect some redness in the legs and crankiness or your baby to be really tired and maybe not as hungry. Some babies sleep a lot and others don't. If you notice a high fever even with tylenol or you notice rapid eye movements or shaking then go to the hospital. Worst case is seizure with fever and that is the worst allergic reaction possible. They will warn you that seizure with fever and a high fever that doesn't go down could lead to death. So if you notice it take your baby to the er fast.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 8:51 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I gave it to our sons per the pediatrician as well.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:12 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• "Worst case is seizure with fever and that is the worst allergic reaction possible"

Not true. Please educate yourself before giving out advice/information.
    Emmoney

Answer by Emmoney at 9:38 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Did you not read the sentence following the one you quoted? Taking things out of context doesn't help anyone.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• My kids didnt' get shots untill 2 months, that's when they start them. I gave both my kids tylenol before and after the shots
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:04 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• My son had his first shot one day after he was born. It was his first dose of Hep. B. Then he had his series of shots at 2months. I didn't give him anything after unless he was feeling miserable. I'm just not one to medicate unless it is totally necessary.
    usmc0351wife

Answer by usmc0351wife at 10:20 AM on Apr. 28, 2009