How hot is your house

My partner & I are currently arguing about the length of time each day we have the heating on for , we have just had a big bill and I am keen to reduce the time we have the heating on. He is a real heat freek and wants the heating on 24/7 regardless of whether we are in or not. I don t think we need it on at all at the time of year. Opinions Please ????

Hannah390

Asked by Hannah390 at 8:41 AM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Relationships

• I've already turned on the air conditioning once! But for the most part, we don't need heating or cooling this time of year. Tell him it is time to turn the heating off! Its almost summer!
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 8:46 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• If he wants it on then turn it down to 68 if your not home and no higher than 72 if you are. Its warming up so the heat really isn't needed. Our house the heat is off and its still 68 in here unless I open the blinds then it gets up in the 70's. If he doesn't mind the big bill then let him pay it but turn the heat down if your gone and at night. Where do you live that its cold enough for heat?
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 8:46 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• we haven't had our heat on in about 3 weeks, we do howeer turn on the air in the afternoon b/c it's been in the mid 80s
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 8:49 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• however*
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 8:50 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Unless you live in Siberia, you do not need the heat on all the time.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 9:26 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• In the winter I keep it at 72-73 andat night knock it down to 68-69. In the summer I keep it at 82-83. My eletric bill gets out of control.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• During the winter we keep our heat at 67 24/7. Sometimes in the evening from about 6-11 pm, we'll bump it up to 70. I'm always cold so I wear a sweatshirt and slippers. Maybe your husband should do the same. Now we have the heat off and I have the windows open. If it gets a bit warm, I turn on the ceiling fans. We live in SC so it's just a matter of time before we'll have the a/c on, but with that we keep it at 79. Do you have a programmable thermostat? Seems silly to have the heat up when no one is home. You could have it programmed so that it turns up about 30 minutes before he gets home from work and then goes back down when you go to bed and back up again right before you get up in the morning.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:13 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• wow usually its the other way around, turn it off when hes not home and if he wnats to keep it on when hes there so be it, compramise! Unless its so hot is unbearable for you. A trick I used to do to have it on, since he always had it off was turn it on everytime I walked past it even tho he would just turn it off again. Do the same just turn it off without him noticing and deny!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• my AC is kept on 72 degrees all the time
    cage0101

Answer by cage0101 at 10:50 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• In the winter my home stays at least 70. We like to be warm when we walk in the door. Not have to wait to warm up. And in the summer it's usually about 65. Again, we want to be cool when we come in, not have to wait for things to cool off.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 12:24 PM on Apr. 28, 2009