• In the Spotlight:

Do you let you children ride their bikes in the street?

A 6th grader at my sons school was killed yesterday. He was hit by a truck while riding his bike in the street

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:54 AM on Apr. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• We live in the country, not a lot of traffic. For the most part, they ride on the driveway or in the yard. IF they want to ride in the street, they tell me, and I come stand out there to watch for cars and such, to make sure they get out of the road. They know to get out of the road and watch for cars and all that, but they are kids, they get all caught up in what they are doing, and I prefer to be a second set of eyes and ears in case they forget. As they get older (8 & 5 right now), I will let them ride more on the streets, but not for a few more years.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 10:01 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Thankfully we live in the country so ours ride in the driveway and on our property.
    4x4mum

Answer by 4x4mum at 8:59 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• that is so sad...
    thankfully, our subdivision is a cul-de-sac. all the neighborhood kids ride up and down it and the residents know to look out for them
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 9:08 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• In my immediate neighborhood, the streets aren't busy and there are no sidewalks, so yes...my kids ride in the street. However, my 9 year old is supervised or riding w/ a parent or big brother all the time. And, both my kids (9 & 14) wear helmets. When you leave our neighborhood, there's a busy street and sidewalk so we ride on the sidewalk.
    amy_lovemy2boys

Answer by amy_lovemy2boys at 9:11 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Right now, no - he rides on the sidewalk. We are moving next month to a house with no sidewalks and little traffic. He will learn how to ride in the street (since that's where bikes really do belong in most areas), how to look and listen for cars, he will have his helmet on his head, a bright orange flag on his bike so he can be seen, and he will not be riding unsupervised (he's only turning 4). After he has learned all the safety rules and shows that he can ride responsibly, then he will be allowed to stay on our street or the next street down the hill, away from the busy part of town, with less supervision. My brother was hit by a car coming out of a driveway (luckily, he was able to walk away), so I know that no amount of safety will protect from drivers not paying attention, but we do the best we can and leave the rest up to Life. I'm sorry to hear about the tragedy at school.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:17 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• We live in a neighborhood and the people on our streets drive SO fast. It makes me mad. My kids are to stay in the driveway unless we choose to take them on a walk and THEN they may ride in the street. But myself or my husband has to be right there. I think its sad that kids cant ride because people drive so very fast.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:17 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• We live in a subdivision where there are curves and fast drivers so our 10 yo dd rides her bike up and down our long driveway and to the 1st curve but not past it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Apr. 28, 2009