Indulgences . . . an excuse for "enlightened sin"?

For those that don't know what I mean by "enlightened sin", an enlightened sin is something that you do KNOWING full and well that it's a sin (adultry, murder, theft, etc).

Here's the link to the New York times article. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/10/nyregion/10indulgence.html?n=Top/Reference/Times%20Topics/People/J/John%20Paul%20II&pagewanted=all

Indulgences were quite popular in the middle ages and the renaissance, but were found to be a corruption of God's word and taken out of the Catholic church. With the idea of them being brought back, does this, in fact, give people an excuse to sin? For Example: "It's Friday, I'm going to go get really drunk . . . I'd better go ahead and pay the church now, so I'm forgiven, just in case".

Protestants - What do you think of this?
Catholics - do you support indulgences? Why or why not? Can really buy forgiveness?
Non-Christians - What's your take on the whole idea?

jennijune_21

Asked by jennijune_21 at 8:59 AM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Well, as a protestant, I can only answer from my perspective. There are natural and spiritual consequences for every sin regardless of the intent behind it. As a christian, you must know the doors you open when you participate in something that isnt of God and be willing to deal with the consequences of it. God doesnt punish us for sin, but the consequences are the punishment. You cant deliberately sin with the idea that you can just go to God and be forgiven. It doesnt work that way. God looks at our hearts and only our hearts. What comes out of our mouth is just words. Repentence is necessary for forgiveness and repentence can;t be repentence without the repentent heart to go with it. Words mean nothing. This is an area that I have personally struggled with and though my actions were deliberate, it wasnt something I wanted to be doing. I just couldnt stop. I did not care for the consequences of it either.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:14 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Well even the most God fearing man has pertaking in this... You tell someone they can't do something and they try to restrain from it and fight their human urges, Sometimes they are going to slip and feel guilty before and after.
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 9:04 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• "Non-Christians - What's your take on the whole idea?"
    I always thought it was "bass ackwards" as my friends would say.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 9:32 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I believe it was the indulgences that pissed MArtin Luther off and why he wrote his thesis and nailed it too the church door. If you know you are sinning stop what you are doing don't buy a get out of Hell free card
    mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 9:41 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• This is so ridiculous I can't even begin to list my reasoning. Seems like another way to admit people do certain things no matter what you threaten them with....but at the same time, still making them feel bad about it.

Just accept yourself, people! Instead of feeling guilty for your genetics!
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 9:42 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Momofsee - I completely agree. We are not, and cannot be, sinless by nature, but we can be conscious of the sins we commit.

mamak57 - I had to go check my history book, but yes, that is one reason (of many) that Luther left the church.

metalcowgirl34 - Absolutely! The church, weather Catholic or Protestant, is famous for making us feel shame for our human nature.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 9:57 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I believe it was the indulgences that pissed MArtin Luther off and why he wrote his thesis and nailed it too the church door.

That is exactly right. The sale of these indulgenses and the PROTEST against them is what impelled the inception of the entire PROTESTANT movement... So any thinking Protestant Christian who knows anything about their Church history cannot in good faith support the resumption of them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:25 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Does anyone really believe God has a little file for everyone and keeps track with his all-powerful calculator whether they've earned enough points to be forgiven for a sin or not? LOL
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 10:41 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Answered at 9:41 AM on Apr. 28, 2009 by: metalcowgirl34
    Does anyone really believe God has a little file for everyone and keeps track with his all-powerful calculator whether they've earned enough points to be forgiven for a sin or not? LOL
    **
    Great question - sadly, I really think there ARE people that think this.
    Hey, how big do you think that calculator IS? LOL
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 10:48 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• This is one of the main reasons why I hate organised religion so much.  It is all about control!  You can't do that because it is a sin!  You can't do this or you will go to hell!  These are all man made rules that reflected a very puritanical age.  Many of them are no longer applicable in our modern society and some are downright irresponsible. 

I'm an A type personality and won't tolerate anyone telling me what I can or can't do.  I don't want to have to worry about whether every little decision is "against the rules".   I don't break the law and I don't infringe upon the rights of others.  If I want to do something, I will and if I don't, I won't!

beeky

Answer by beeky at 11:55 AM on Apr. 28, 2009