possible ear infection

how do i know if my son has an ear infection? he has been pulling on his right ear 4 a few days now but hes not fussy and has no fever. could he have just realized he has ears and wants to play with them? but i did clean his ears today and he was fine with his left ear but when i cleaned the right he cried, could be coincidence? thanks

sweetjpea

Asked by sweetjpea at 9:15 AM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's not going to hurt to get it checked. My oldest had an ear infection to the point of bursting and we had NO clue!! He said it wasn't hurting, he never complained, the doctor just happened to check him when I took my other son in for an ear infection! (they both had colds)

If he's been pulling at it, that could have made it a bit tender, but....I'd personally probably call and have it looked at.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:18 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Sounds like he probably has a mild infection, they don't always run fevers. I would defenatly take im to the doctor before it gets worse.
    Tarabella

Answer by Tarabella at 9:24 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• My son is 5 months he just found out that there are things on the side of his head! He has been playin with them all day for about 2 days, we just got back from the doctor on a regular checkup so he's totally fine! It all depends on how you feel, if you feel worried call the doctor thats why their paid!!!!
    rebel07

Answer by rebel07 at 10:14 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I thought my DD had discovered her ears too I didn't take her right in to the doc. but several days after I first noticed her playing with them she developed a high fever and stopped eating. She did have an ear infection after all... I would get him checked just to be safe. If he does have a slight infection it would be better to catch it before it gets worse and causes a fever and more pain for your little one... GL.
    mrsbvader

Answer by mrsbvader at 10:43 AM on Apr. 28, 2009