How much does it cost to become a pharmacy tech and how long does it takes

momto3in2004

Asked by momto3in2004 at 9:45 AM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Money & Work

• I think it depends on the schools around you... but I would think it would be like a program that might take like 2 yrs... check out your local schools good luck hun!
    Mommy2seven

Answer by Mommy2seven at 10:09 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Depends on the school, the one i'm at the cost is around 10k and it's about an 8-10 month course
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:15 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• You don't need school to be a pharmacy technician in most states, All you need is to pass the National Pharmacy Technician Board Exam.

The pharmacy you work at may also have their own training program.

To be fully trained it can cost the minimum of about $50. There is a book you can study on PTCB.org

There are many free resources too if you are organized.

I'm a tech, let me know if you have anymore questions.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 10:30 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• IraqiVetWife is right, You don't need to go to school to learn to be a pharmacy tech. I worked at Walgreens as a pharmacy tech and they paid for my study materials and they paid for me to take the test. All the while I was working in the pharmacy and getting paid for it. Then when I passed the certification test, they gave me a raise. Going to a school doesn't necessarily guarantee you a better chance at a job either, because Walgreens will hire and train anyone that they think will be good at the job regardless of whether they are certified or not. They just make sure that you get certified while you are there. I'm sure most of the chain pharmacies do pretty much the same thing. So now that I am a certified pharmacy technician, I can go anywhere with my certification and I didn't pay a school and spend alot of time doing it. If you want to be one, get a job in the pharmacy first.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 2:38 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• My husband just looked into it. It didn't pay NEARLY enough to even concider the time it took to invest in schooling. Even becoming a pharmacist takes 8 years and only pays $80,000 a year. My husband makes more than that now at his PEON job!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:51 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Pharmacists make A LOT more...plus they normally get a sign on bonus...
    caseyd26

Answer by caseyd26 at 9:24 PM on Jun. 23, 2009