What type of questions are on a Civil Service exam?

I know it's supposed to be like an ACT or SAT, but are there hard math questions like algebra, geometry, etc? or simple math questions? Word problems? Ethical, common sense questions? I've never taken one before.

How much of a chance do you think I'd have of getting a job in these times (if I pass the exam)? I would have extra points for being a citizen of our city. Wonder how many will apply? Wonder if I have to do anything on my resume to stand out from the rest?

PSMother

Asked by PSMother at 9:49 AM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Money & Work

• Well one way to know for sure is to check out your local library, they have a civil service section with sample exams from previous years and the answers!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:24 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• My dad took a civil service exam recently and I got him a book of practice test from my public library. He said it not only helped him brush up but also eased his mind cause he knew what to expect. You can go to a website called usajobs.gov and it will give you a list of all government job openings and what is required for applying. Hope this helps.
    staceynicole_tn

Answer by staceynicole_tn at 11:25 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• What is on the test depends on what it is for. There are so many different kinds. As previous posters said, check the library. Also check any local business schools to see if they have any review courses you can pay to attend.

Also, where you are looking for a civil service job could depend on how plentiful they are. Right now, here in New York, we are under a hard hiring freeze and under the prospect of almost 9,000 layoffs before July 1.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 7:01 PM on Apr. 28, 2009