those that choose natural at home births...

I'm really curious.. normally women that are all about homebirth and such are totally against dr's and hospitals.. so do you still try to deliver your baby at home if its breech, in a jack-knife position, or are to big to really deliver naturally and at home? I mean in most of these cases you should have a c-section but that would require a hospital and an epidural.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:55 AM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It's a smart thing to be near a hospital when having a home birth. I was within walking distance to one when i had my home birth. I'm not against hospitals or anything. I just wanted to be in a comfortable environment, where i could birth my baby on MY time, not the Dr's time, where i could walk around, get in the tub & do all those other things most hospitals won't allow. I didn't want my baby getting pricked by needles & being handled by strange Nurses other random hospital people. There are more germs at hospitals too. Most infections that happen after birth are because of being in a hospital. I had one friend w/ Lupus who almost died after the birth of her son becuase she contracted a serious bacterial infection while at the hospital. You betcha, when she birthed her daughter, she did it at home.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:06 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Actually MOST countries, besides the US don't view breech as an emergency. Transverse and Footling breech can, and are delivered vaginally with zero complications. The key is having someone experienced in those deliveries and most OB's are not, they rush for a cesarean. The best thing you can do is be hands off in breech deliveries, allowing mother do to her things... any sort of assistance can cause more harm then good.,

Babies are rarely to big to deliver naturally. Even the American Col. of OB's and Gyno doesn't recommend messing with labor unless the baby is suspected to be over 11 lbs, and they are very intervention happy.

It's always good to be near a hospital just in case. No home birthing mother is *anti* hospital, just *anti* hospital for NORMAL deliveries. If she needed a hospital, she would go. Most complications can be dealt with at home with less invasive procedures than the hospital would use.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:34 AM on Apr. 28, 2009