Foster care

My husband and I are interested in fostering a child. My question is, what if they won't have there own room? Could we still do it? We rent a 3 bedroom house, but one of the rooms is shut off, the owners store stuff in it. We have our room, and our sons room. Could I put the child in with my son? Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Adoption

• The child has to have a bed to sleep in!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Most of the time it's determined by square footage.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 1:37 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I am a foster parent to my niece and she shares a room with my daughter BUT that is because she is blood(San Bernardino Ca.) if you are trying to foster a non relative child in cali you will need a room for that child UNLESS your child and the foster r same sex and under five so really there r alot of technical things when it comes to fostering a child ur best bet is to contact your local goverment agency or a foster family agency they will know the rules and regs. to help u GOOD LUCK!
    lilmammaweisner

Answer by lilmammaweisner at 4:07 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• We just became foster parents, and yes the child can share a room with your son. As long as they are the same sex, there isn'ta big age difference, and they of course need their own beds.
    pless3

Answer by pless3 at 9:10 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• It depends on the state you live in and what their requirements are. Usually if the children are the same gender and under about age 8, they can share a room.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 12:00 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Some states allow 4 children per room. Each child should have their own bed.
    Anonymous

• Just because they CAN share a room doesn't always mean that it's a good idea. Depends on the child's history and special needs. They also usually advise you not to take a child that is older than your own.

Check with your local CPS and see what their requirements are. It is different in each state, and sometimes, each region. Hope this helps.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:34 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• In my state the child can room with other children only if they are the same gender and only if they are both under 12. At that point children 12 or older have to be withing two years apart as well as the same gender. Social services can also put restrictions on specific children requiring additional needs as it pertains to the child's situation. Such as they must be the only child in the home, they need a stay at home parent, they need their own room. It just depends on the child but case workers will not place in your home unless they feel it is a good match.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:31 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• my mom did foster care and she had us share a room with the foster kids, just as long as they dont have sexual abuse history than you should be fine
    Breezy1988

Answer by Breezy1988 at 10:46 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I believe the requirements are different in each state. Here if they are under 5 they can share a room with someone of the opposite sex. Each child must have there own bed but I dont see that preventing you from fostering although it may limit the age, sex and number of children you can foster.
    m_ellingson

Answer by m_ellingson at 5:18 PM on May. 2, 2009