Is it just our school?

My 10 yo dd has a presentation today right after school and it lasts for 2 1/2 hrs. This isn't w/her regular teacher it is a accelerated reading program. I had emailed the teacher and asked if the parents are to be there. She didn't answer the email. I had asked my dd to ask the teacher the question and she kept saying she forgot. I asked her to ask other kids that have been in it before and she said she asked two of them and they said yes. My dh has to take off work for this and our school is 14 miles away which makes this much harder. We have had 3 things to go to already this month in the evenings. Isn't 2 1/2 hrs a lot to ask of parents? Do you have trouble with your kids finding out things or is it just me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Apr. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• LOL NO, not just you. If I had a dime for everytime I heard "I forgot" or "I dunno" I could solve the financial crisis this country has lol
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:45 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• While DD is not in school yet, my nieces/nephews are and the teacher sends home a reminder for anything that deals with after school.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:45 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• "Isn't 2 1/2 hrs a lot to ask of parents?"

You're kiddin' me, right?  I'm not trying to be rude... but these are YOUR kids.  You send them to school to be educated 8 hrs a day, 5 days a week, 9-10 months a year.  Asking the parents to come to the school for a couple of hours a couple of times a month to showcase what they're learning & make them feel proud & special doesn't seem like too much of a burden to me.  I've never heard parents complain about having to sit through a 3-4 hr Friday night football game.

As for finding out things... yeah the school should be sending home notices & returning emails & phone calls.  I would bring this up with the principal.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• i agree with zaks mom...what up with the after school thing.i think i would call up the school and ask what it is.it sounds like they maybe reading something???wow 2 1/2 hrs theres going to be alot of kids.
    raineydays377

Answer by raineydays377 at 11:01 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• My kids tell me everything that happens at school because they know I would never miss anything and they are happy to have me there. Is 2 1/2 hours too long...no. I go to plays, sports events, award ceremonies, etc.. It's the high point of my time while my kids are in school. I love being there for their events.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 11:11 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Our schools send everything via e-mail, thank goodness because my kids don't always remember to tell me about every event. Although I wouldn't be very happy with that teacher for not returning your e-mail.
    susan6xblessed

Answer by susan6xblessed at 11:13 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• It starts at 3 pm and goes until 5:45. They stay at school that is all we know on it. It is upsetting that nothing was sent home on it and the teacher didn't answer the email and out dd has not asked.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• We have had 3 things to go to already this month in the evenings. Isn't 2 1/2 hrs a lot to ask of parents? Do you have trouble with your kids finding out things or is it just me?

3 things out of 30 days does not seem like a lot to me. My son has a school performance tonight it is 2 hours longs. I am gladly going and would never allow my son to see this as an inconvenience on my part. I feel for you child they probably feel a lot of guilt because you are going to be put out. So pathetic.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• We do not encourage school particaption here. We used to, but this school district is crap and the people that run the programs are self important idiots. So if its after school hours my kids don't do it. Between guitar, karate, dance, kick boxing, and other activites there is just no time for those with the school. The only thing that DD does with the school is FFA but that is mostly during shcool hours.
    Vanessannd

Answer by Vanessannd at 12:05 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Isn't 2 1/2 hrs a lot to ask of parents?"

You're kiddin' me, right? I'm not trying to be rude... but these are YOUR kids. You send them to school to be educated 8 hrs a day, 5 days a week, 9-10 months a year. Asking the parents to come to the school for a couple of hours a couple of times a month to showcase what they're learning & make them feel proud & special doesn't seem like too much of a burden to me. As for finding out things... yeah the school should be sending home notices & returning emails & phone calls. I would bring this up with the principal.

I have seen parents just drop their kids off at their baseball games and leave, they don't even watch them . There is no parent cheering them on or being proud of them. It is left to other parents to cheer them on.

If you are going to have kids, then be involved in their lives and don't bitch about it. Kids need to feel that their parents are proud of them.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:20 PM on Apr. 28, 2009