Potty trained 3 year old going poo in his pants..........

Do 3 1/2 year olds still have more teeth to come in? This is the only thing I can think of for him to mess his pants. It just started about a week ago. He is not sick, but it seems to happen every other day. Is it possible for him to think that he is just "passing gas" and to not realize that he is messing his pants?

BrandonsMom1000

Asked by BrandonsMom1000 at 11:02 AM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• http://kidshealth.org/parent/general/sick/encopresis.html

I found this link if you are interested...
    pat7879

Answer by pat7879 at 9:36 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• My son will be 3 in June and I can't put underwear on him. He, my guess, still thinks its a thinner version of a diaper. Have him open his mouth, if you see any gaps for possible tooth growth then yeah its a teething thing. If not he probably doesn't realize he has to go stinky. My sos twin sister on the other hand is a champ. She had problems at first but once sherealized what stinky was without diaper on she went to the bathroom there after all by herself!!! I would have him sit on his potty when you go #2 just to show him where stinky is supposed to go(or your husband).
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 11:11 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Thanks. He has been potty trained since last summer.
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 11:20 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• For number one, kids are scared of the feeling of pooping in the toilet--it hurts. So they try to hold it in. However, their bowels are not strong enough to hold it for long and thus the mess in his pants. Boys are worse than girls because you have to train them to stand for pee and sit for poop. Very confusing for beginners.
    My son had the same trouble when he was 3. His teacher at school finally started a reward chart. Just use a simple calendar just for him. Let him put stickers on days he goes poop in potty. My son's teacher also found something unique that he liked and used that as a special reward (truck)at end of week if he went poop in the potty. She taped it up by his calendar so he saw it every day. It only took him 3 days to start pooping in potty and after he got his truck haven't had any probs since.
    teddybear0515

Answer by teddybear0515 at 3:15 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• ***look up encopresis and if this matches what your son is doing take him to the pediatrician***
    My son was fully potty trained and started messing up his underwear. He never really pooped completely, just looked like he had gas or leaked out. We went through so much stress and even put it on him.
    If it is coming out in small amounts, if it seems dark, and if he says he doesn't know it's coming out, those are all signs of encopresis.
    pat7879

Answer by pat7879 at 9:34 PM on Apr. 28, 2009