Okay so I am not the worlds greatest Baker. But this week after watching the Cake challenge on Food Network my older kids and I decieded to give it a try. We made a homemade cake yesterday with homemade buttercream frosting. The cake looked so pretty, but tasted AWFUL! It was so freaken dry.... What did I do wrong? Any tips on makeing a super moist cake??

Vanessannd

Asked by Vanessannd at 11:02 AM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Did you use enough oil and liquids? That is the only thing that I can think of.
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 11:04 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Try not to over cook it and over stir the ingredients. I like to find a recipe and stick with the instructions. also when you poke the cake to make sure it is done if there is a tiny bit on the fork/knife/tooth pick that is fine take it out of the oven and let it finish firming up in the pan. Practice makes perfect hun!
    Mommy2seven

Answer by Mommy2seven at 11:06 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Over mixing can hurt the cake?? That might have been the problem they all wanted to play with the mixer....
    Vanessannd

Answer by Vanessannd at 11:45 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• You can't mess this up: 5 MINUTE CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE
    4 tablespoons flour
    4 tablespoons sugar
    2 tablespoons cocoa
    1 egg
    3 tablespoons milk
    3 tablespoons oil
    3 tablespoons chocolate chips (optional)
    A small splash of vanilla extract
    1 large coffee mug

Add dry ingredients to mug, and mix well.. Add the egg and mix thoroughly. Pour in the milk and oil and mix well. Add the chocolate chips (if using) and vanilla extract, and mix again. Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes at 1000 watts. The cake will rise over the top of the mug, but don't be alarmed! Allow to cool a little, and tip out onto a plate if desired.EAT! (this can serve 2 if you want to feel slightly more virtuous). Even better with raspberries on top!

Answer by rkoloms at 2:16 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Don't overmix or overbake it. Try substituting some of the oil with applesauce, it makes a cake really moist and lowers the fat and tastes sooo yummy. I can't bake either, so don't feel so bad. Boxed mixes are good, just doctor them up. Go to www.cakedoctor.com There are tons of recipes on their.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:13 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Bake it 1 minute less than the minimum time. Let cool in the pan for 5-10 mins, and flip out on a cooling rack. I always put an extra egg and a pack of jello instant pudding in my mixes. It gives it a firmer texture and doesnt crumble when you cut it. My profile has my cakes on it!
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 5:06 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• applesause instead of oil,garrantee moist.
    momindistress08

Answer by momindistress08 at 11:34 PM on Apr. 29, 2009