When should I give my son cereal in his bottle.... (he is formula feed)

roberts_mommy09

Asked by roberts_mommy09 at 11:06 AM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• At about 6 months old. Be careful to monitor him closely though because they can choke easily.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Why do you want to put cereal in his bottle??? For me I never have put cereal in my childrens bottles. I've always heard that its not good for them, but that is just my oppinion hun...
    Mommy2seven

Answer by Mommy2seven at 11:09 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• i started giving my daughter a very little bit when she was about 4 weeks old. Because she started waking up avery hour sometimes sooner because she was starving and that helped she started waking up every 2 to 3 after.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I never put cereal in my son's bottle. At four months we spoon fed him cereal and he loved it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Your actually never supposed to put cereal in the bottle unless directed by the doctor for reflux.
    You can start giving cereal by spoon between 4-6 months if your son is ready
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:20 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Well technically you aren't supposed to put cereal in their bottles but I did with both my kids. My son had enough cereal in his bottle to spoon feed it to him at 3 months old. So whatever you feel is best
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:22 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• lookie lookie, I did I put cereal in my son's bottles!!!! and still do, there is nothing wrong with it but do watch for his/her bowels getting hard so get some apple juicie. duliet (sp) it. half n half. it should help!!! GL
    rebel07

Answer by rebel07 at 11:26 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I never put cereal in my daughters bottle - I enjoy the one on one time we have w/each other when I am feeding her w/a spoon. We started her on cereal at 4.5 months.
    PatriciaofMN

Answer by PatriciaofMN at 11:39 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I never did, either and my boys took an average of 45oz of formula per day.

If you want to give cereal for some reason, mix it in a bowl and feed it with a spoon.

The extra iron in cereal is what usually causes constipation. If one is giving cereal early, which could cause problems in and of itself, why potentially compound the problem by giving juice earlier than recommended? Just a thought...two "wrongs" (for lack of a better word) don't make it right.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:44 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Do not put cereal in the bottle! Cereal goes in a bowl, mixed with breastmilk or formula, and is fed with a spoon. We started at around 6 months; this is also a good time to introduce a sippy cup with water. Foods given to babies before they turn one is for the experience of eating solids, not nutrition. www.superbabyfood.com will tell you about the best book for feeding babies and toddlers; you should be able to find it at your local library.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:21 PM on Apr. 28, 2009