why are christians against gay marriage?

The bible was/is believed to be against divorce, but this is legal. Heterosexual marriage has at least a 50% shot at ending in divorce.

At one time blacks could not marry whites. This was based ypon religious views surrounding christianity and tge bible. Many people, still today, believe mixing races to be a sin.

But it's legal.

So if these things, once believed to be such a huge sin, taboo, and wrong, are legal and accepted, why not gay marriage too?

Please don't get off topic, answer this question for what it is.

- would love to see some intelligent answers!

julie.r0cks

Asked by julie.r0cks at 11:08 AM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• The truth is, they don't KNOW why they're against gay marriage. They may not like having no power or say in an institution which is, for the most part, CIVIL...not religious. Gays marrying will not affect their lives, or their marriages, or even their churches. No more than the marriage of a witch and an agnostic (me and DH) affects them. Gay marriages are legal in Great Britain. Has that had any affect on them? NO. They are outraged and they don't even know why. Like dogs marking their territory, they think that peeing on it and calling it christian makes it theirs. They are like little kids, clutching their toy to their chests and yelling, "MINE. MINE. MINE!!
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 4:48 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• "The bible was/is believed to be against divorce"

That's not true there are certain provisions for divorce that are  in the bible.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 11:10 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• The bible specifically says that divorce is wrong, and men being with men/women being with women is wrong. It does not say anything about black and white people marrying being wrong. Just because it says the different tribes shouldn't mix.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I don't honestly understand why anyone cares. What someone else does in thier bedroom doesn't affect my family or me in any way.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 11:12 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• ha ha there are no intelligent answers hun.. there are 2 sides to this story.. one is for it and one is against it, right? Oh ya and then there is the ones on the fence. I use to be totally against it from a biblical stance (and I know I'll get bashed for this) but after all this is an impurfect world right!? so, let those that want to have a same sex relationship do so and if there are consequences to their actions then let them deal with that, right? Because if you read the bible it states "Do not judge, for you will be judged as you've judged others". Leave the pointing of fingers to the one you feel matters and stay out of others relationships. WE cannot change the world, WE can only change the person WE are in the eyes of the world. And I'm sorry if you are standing on the corner sending everyone to HELL, I'm not gonna give you the time of day!
    Mommy2seven

Answer by Mommy2seven at 11:16 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Deuteronomy Chapter 24 verses 1&2:
    'When a man taketh a wife, and marrieth her, then it cometh to pass, if she find no favour in his eyes, because he hath found some unseemly thing in her, that he writeth her a bill of divorcement, and giveth it in her hand, and sendeth her out of his house, and she departeth out of his house, and goeth and becometh another man's wife"

The Bible does mention divorce and this doesn't say it is wrong. What it says is wrong is a man wanting to remarry a woman that he previously divorced.

"her former husband, who sent her away, may not take her again to be his wife, after that she is defiled; for that is abomination before the LORD"
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 11:20 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• In the bible men laying with men an vice versa for women is a sin. Divorce is ONLY a sin if you divorce solely for the purpose to marry another. If interracial marriage was a sin according to the bible then we are all doomed because there is NO one PURE race!!!! Languages changed at the tower of babel and so did skin color, so everyone speaking the same language relocated and started new civilizations. Now I do not care what homosexuals do or how they live; they are still human!!! However homosexual marriage is bibically wrong! I undertsand wanting to be married to sho dedication and layalty but why spite God any further!? In the end WE ALL have to face our sins and suffer the concequences. I do not hold any judgement toward homosexuals exept for when it comes to gay marriage.
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 11:26 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• God hates divorce yet because of the ignorant hearts of the children of Israel he allowed it for certain reasons only.
    God created Man and woman ...First He created Adam then He decided for man not to be alone and created a woman. (NOT another man) He did this for them to be helpmates and to procreate, meaning to be fruitful and multiply! How does a man and a man and a woman and a woman procreate? Impossible! It is against nature for the human species to have sexual encounters of the same sex or relations.
    I am very much against same-sex marriages as well as homosexuality but I will emphasis this I DO NOT HATE the people who do this, I ONLY HATE the thing they do! Just like I hate it when my 15 yr old son lies to me I do not hate my son, I love him but cannot tolerate the lies.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:28 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Oh boy
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 11:29 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Well, BIBLICALLY, the bible speaks out about homosexuality and divorce (the interracial thing was never mentioned in the bible - racists use a corruption of a verse to prove their point, but not the actual verse in context.)

That being said, MY personal opinion is, it's none of our business who anyone wants to marry, and it certainly isn't the governments business.

Something else to think about is this - the "laws" we speak of are all in the OT - few are actually spoken about in the NT and even fewer still mentioned by Christ himself. I think that people kinda pick and chose which "laws" to follow, which never made sense to me. I follow the commandments (laws) that Jesus talks about, everything else, as far as I'm concerned, we are no longer bound by.

I'm not sure if this makes sense to anyone or not, LOL, but that's how I see it.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 11:30 AM on Apr. 28, 2009