• In the Spotlight:

Does it bother you to see interracial couples? If so, why? I just want a different perspective than my own.

I have only been in two serious relationships in my entire life- one with a European American man (my ex husband) and one with a Japanese man. This weekend for the very first time ever someone that saw me, my daughter, and SO said somethin about my daughter being a half breed and something about mixing mongrols? I was so shocked!!! Like I grew up in an area that was predominantly white and never had any problems with any of our neighbors or the children or anyone. Now here I am 23 and for the first time I hear this. I didn't even know how to respond.

So what do you gusy think? Is it like really still that big of a deal? And why exactly? I respect everyones opinion so you won't get any bashing from me for what you say, I am just curious. Thanks :)

BriHan06

Asked by BriHan06 at 11:14 AM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Relationships

• I think some mixed races are more acceptable to some people than others. I know several people that love half Asian children but don't feel the same about black/white or any other combination. Personally, I don't care.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 11:18 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Chalk it up to DUMB a$$ people talking out their pie hole hun... I wouldn't give them a second thought. Sorry you had to experience this!
    Mommy2seven

Answer by Mommy2seven at 11:18 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• To me it's no big deal. My husband is black, and I am white, and we have a daughter. We do get stares from older people, but I just smile and wave. Then, they are the ones who end up embarassed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Actually, Hannah (my daughter) was the one who waved and said hi. She is just so friendly and so I scurried her away for fear of what they might say to her... It was so weird.
    BriHan06

Answer by BriHan06 at 11:22 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I know many people who are okay with certain races mixing, and others not. My mother would freak out if I married a black man, while marrying a mexican man was fine. Her reasoning is based on what she experienced growing up. She would be afraid of the repercussions we would face, real or imagined.

My mil on the other hand, is fine with dh having married a white woman, but if he'd married black, she would have had issue with it. In her case, its just ignorance, she just doesn't know any differently. We live in an area of California where mexican/white couples are the norm.

Not making excuses for any of this - its just been my personal experience and the reasoning behind why things are what they are with the people I personally know. FWIW, I'm single now - and I had no idea my mother was against me dating a black man til I was 26 and actually did date one. Needless to say, it was a hurtful way to find out her feelings
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:26 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• it dosen't bother me @ all, and I'm from the south... most people assume all southerners are racist but I'm not :)
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:27 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• See, my family is always "mixing". We have all kinds of people in our family. (We have a huge family) and none of us are real full blood anything. In this family anyway... So for people to find any mix weird... I just thought that that didn't happen anymore... For young people that is. Now older people ya, I have seen that. Like my grandpa told all of us girls that we were ruining his blood line because we had children with men from different races,. We just ignore him as old and ignorant though because he is mixed a lot of different stuff- with his green eyes and light, light super light skin...lol
    BriHan06

Answer by BriHan06 at 11:33 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• some people r idiots. pay them no mind. my kids r mixed and we've had people make mention of it but i just tell my kids they're just jealous cause they'll never be as good lookin as they are lol. my 16 yo used to be bothered by it but now hes like whatever.
    jussomeonesmom

Answer by jussomeonesmom at 11:41 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• My son is white, my daughter in law is black. She is an awesome woman and I love having her as a part of our family. So no, I don't have a problem with couples of different ethinic backgrounds. I personally hate the term mixed race because we are all of the HUMAN RACE. Mixed races is an archaic term that is a throwback from when people assumed that whites were superior to people with darker skin pigmentations. Don't let the stupid people get to you. They probably haven't even considered that thewy themselves are "mixed" if they aren't just of one ethnic background. I am German/Irish and hubby is Italian/Hungarian, neither of us are "pure" and most people in this country aren't.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 11:52 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• it doesn't bother me. I've dated plenty of black men. I just ended up with a white one in the end. (To everyone's surprise. LOL) What I really don't understand is when a black man dates a white woman who does everything she possibly can to be black. It makes no sense.

Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 12:13 PM on Apr. 28, 2009