What should I do? (kinda a long one)

My little girl is almost 7 months. My MIL always wants to babysit, but here lately she has been having instances where I dont know if I can trust her. First of all my little girl started chocking while my MIL was feeding her and was more worried about where to put the bottle then to start patting her and she started turning blue before she got her breathing again! Then she was holding her and set her on couch and turned and talking! My daughter rolled over and almost fell off the couch! Then 3rd, my MIL wanted to hold her and I was getting ready to start cooking dinner, I told her you need to really watch her cuz she was chewing on a teething cookie, I turned around for 2 seconds and the next thing I know she started freaking out because she wasnt paying attention my little girl started choking and all my MIL would do was scream, I had to run across the kitchen and get her! I love my MIL she is so nice but c'mon. Sorry so long

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Maby shes just unlucky and everytime your arund these things happen, iv seen it b4 sometimes you are around someone that you dont want to dissapoint and you accidently do that and more because of the pressure so maby try to be a bit more relaxed
    chukuku

Answer by chukuku at 11:28 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• you need to talk to your man about all that. it doesn't sound like she should be watching a baby. how many kids did this woman raise?
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 11:30 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Iam very relaxed around her, my husband is more tense then I am haha.
    she had 3 boys, and she did a great job with all of them! I told my husband that I was nervous and he just said well its been 23 years since she had to take care of a baby I told him well its been 17 years since my mom did and she is doing just fine!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I understand your concern, and you're right to be!!! She obviously has not dealt with emergencies(not that anyone who has is always on point!). Kindly inform her of the mistakes she has made and base solely on that and nothing personal you are just not comfortable leaving your daughter in her care! She will be sore so give her room and time to adjust!!! Suggest she get cpr classes and such or even some grandparenting classes. Good luck and best wishes!!!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 11:35 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• It sounds like your mother in law has good intentions just doesnt know what to do in an "emergency" situation. Maybe suggest she take a refresher course on babies and cpr and let her know it would just make you feel better before she watches your daughter.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Apr. 28, 2009