How long would you give the school to "fix this" re: Gun Threat

Last week, a fifth grader on a bus tells a bunch of kids that he is going to bring a gun to school and shoot everyone.

When the school is told this (by a parent of a witness) the Mom is told that the principle/assist principle will need to talk to the witnesses. (Her daughter is not the only witness). But, since CRCT testing is going on, the witness hasn't been asked about the incident yet. CRCT is a lame excuse... but that is the excuse for not taking any action yet.

Mom of witness has started driving her kids to school because she does not want her kids riding with the 5th grader that made the threat. Another Mother that heard it through the grape vine is considering pulling her kids out of school until disciplinary and intervention action is taken against the 5th grader. According to the mother to the witness, the assistant principle did seem concerned when she was told about the threat.

(CONT In Post Below)

VeronicaLee

Asked by VeronicaLee at 11:29 AM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I would expect them to take action within minutes of being informed. I would expect the child to be pulled out of class and the parents called to immediately come to the school to get it resolved. Gun threats are not something to be taken lightly. While they are waiting for testing to be done, this kid could follow thru on his threat and hurt countless people. Maybe he's just blowing smoke, but they should have taken immediate action to find out and to take whatever appropriate action needs to be taken. As anon said, I wouldn't expect shackles, etc. necessarily, but I would not be happy if I didn't see some immediate action being taken, and I would very likely pull my child from the school, at the very least until they could assure me that the threat had been fully investigated and that nothing would come of it.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 11:58 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• An unrelated, yet relevant incident happened yesterday in a neighboring county, and it showed up on the evening news. A 6 year old child brought a loaded handgun to school to show his friends at school. The gun was taken by the teacher when they found out that he had been showing it off. The school says they don’t believe the child meant any harm but they are suspending him until the parents meet with the school board.

What would you do if your child was going to school with this fifth grader that threaten to bring a gun to school to shoot every one? How long would you give the school to take action? Days? Weeks? Or would you expect immediate intervention??

Would you tell everyone you know in hopes that it will keep this incident from being “swept under the carpet”?

TIA!!
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 11:30 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I would expect the school to take appropriate action, starting with tlking to the parents of the child making the threat. I would NOT expect them to go overboard in the name of "Zero Tolerance" and lead the child away loaded down in shackles, permanently suspended and incarcerated for life. (Or whatever)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Ohh I would be hot. I would be on them everyday. Threats or not cool. You never know. And that I think is very serious. I would probably pull my kids out until something was done. I wouldnt risk it. Yes I would tell others. If I didnt and something happened I would feel like I was at fault. And when others all start saying something, something is gonna get done.
    Nikky0803PAG

Answer by Nikky0803PAG at 11:45 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Since the school doesn't seem to be interested, I would call the police. In all likelihood this is just "big talk" from a kid that needs a little more parental supervision/intervention. However, it does need to be addressed.

I would have called the police the minute the school brushed me off. I would also have called the superintendent's office.

A 6 yr old with a gun is riduculous! We own several guns and our children would NEVER dream of touching one. Both my boys have seen and handled a gun therefore the curiosity is gone. I sure wish schools would implement a program where police officers come in and discuss their guns, talk about safety and even let the kids touch it. Yes, I said touch it! You can't prevent some things, but you can prevent the accidents that occur because of curiosity.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:50 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I would have to agree that if the school is not willing to step in I too would call the police on this. People do not send thier children to school to get shot, they send them with the understanding that they are going to be safe in the hands of trusted individuals. It has been shown in recent years that a childs age has nothing to do now with these threats and that even the youngest of kids have been cuaght with guns or injured others with them. I am all for gun rights and do not feel these should change. I would question parents for threats like this. There is obviously something lacking in a childs life when they make threats like this. It is either the parents inability to parent the child, or the child is not feeling safe due to bullying or what have you. Of course there is always a numerous amount of other reasons, but it should be looked in to and taken seriously.
    BabyBeans0506

Answer by BabyBeans0506 at 11:59 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Thanks Ladies!!

I already had a feeling that what we were thinking about this was right. Your responses backs it up a little more.

While we don't expect the kid to be shackled and hauled off for life life sentence, we do expect immediate action to asses the validity of the threat.... Hopefully this kid was blowing smoke. Mom of witness is going to school today to bring up the subject again with them. If nothing is done today to intervene, there will be a big stink made about it in all the appropriate places (superintendents office, sheriff's department, ect)

Thanks again for your input!!

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 12:14 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Last week, a fifth grader on a bus tells a bunch of kids that he is going to bring a gun to school and shoot everyone.

This is how long I would let it go for them to handle it.  The police should absolutely be called.  If everyone knew about this and the school didn't handle it, and God forbid anything actually happened, there would be a lot of witnesses that did nothing to stop a senseless crime.  I would hate to go to bed thinking of a mother and father missing their child, just because the school wanted to handle it first.  JMO.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:24 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Probably blowing smoke but still absolutely should of been dealt with immediately.I think most schools do not play around with this type of thing.I know my kids school would not.Alot less has been said and action was taken ASAP.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 1:43 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Good for the mothers mentioned in the story. Remove your children from the vicinity and address the problem ... in that order.

Going to school is not a life requirement, like breathing or food. Safety and sanity are a higher priority.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 2:58 PM on Apr. 28, 2009