Can a DUI felon get work in the auto industry?

My husband was convicted of felony DUI over 7 years ago (3rd strike). He served time and paid for an SR22 to be able to get auto insurance. He recently enrolled in school to be an auto tech, but is concerned that he won't be able to work in the industry due to not being able to be insured (e.g. to drive customers' cars after repairs). Is there anyone here who works in or knows someone who works at a dealer or garage who can provide a response that is not a guess? (We are in TX). THANKS

figaro8895

Asked by figaro8895 at 11:42 AM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Money & Work

• I can't answer the question, but I can suggest that maybe call a dealer or a garage and ask them? They should be able to tell you, since they hire them, they should know the requirements. If not, I would think the school or the instructor would know for sure. I would also think it would be on the application for the course, since if they can't work in that field there would be no point to taking the course.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 11:50 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I was in the automotive industry. When I was an auditor, Our policy was 7-years for felony, 3-years for misdeamenor. I am in CA. But, the felonies depending on what it was, had to be approved by HR with conditions. So, for example, if your husband got a job with the company that I got laid-off from, and his was within 7-years, we would restrict him from driving any units. Which will not work because as a tech, he would need to drive the unit for troubleshooting purposes. Over 7-years, I don't think it showed up in the background.

My best advice is that it depends on who he works for and their policy's.
    BingsMommy

Answer by BingsMommy at 11:56 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• He is planning on contacting various places, including dealerships, local and chain garages to ask their policies. That is great information, BingsMommy. I hope others can give specifics like that. Trying all angles... we need to get it figured out before all the financial aid goes through...
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 12:07 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• my hubby had two dui's and still doesnt have his license he does work in the auto industry. someone else in the shop just tests the car for him after it is done. good luck
    Anonymous

• Thx anon. Is the shop a local shop? Did he know someone at it? I'm just trying to figure out if the special arrangements your hubby has are available in general... I suggested this to my hubby yesterday - good to know it wasn't crazy.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 12:25 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Im unsure,but maybe go and ask others in the industry.Good luck = )
    sweetest-sin7

Answer by sweetest-sin7 at 5:59 PM on Apr. 28, 2009