What is the best way to trim your cat's claws?

I am against declawwing bc of the horror story that is behind ...so I hear.

I just want to give them alittle snip enough where she can still scratch herself but not to scratch on the furniture...lol Thanks!!!

Oh and I have tried those softpaws but she won't sit still.....aarrgg!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Pets

• Wrap her up in a towel except for One paw at a time. and keep a lot of antiseptic handy( for you :D)
    hypersquirrel

Answer by hypersquirrel at 11:54 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I could not do this maybe a scratching post might help file them, i think the towel is the best way to cover his face so he is not scared but wear a coat b/c he is going to kick!
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 11:57 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I applaud your choice to not declaw-- to do so removes the first joint in the paw, and prevents them from being able to fully stretch as they no longer can hold an anchor.

I started clipping my cats' nails when they were kittens, and they're all so used to it my now that they just sit on my lap for their manicures and pedicures. If your cat is not used to it, I agree with hypersquirrel-- wrap your cat in a towel. Do NOT clip beyond the quick-- which is the pink part-- otherwise you'll cause bleeding, and then good luck cutting their nails again! The front paws usually require trimming twice as much as the back paws. I usually sit my cats down on my lap on their behinds so that their paws all sort of stick out.

You might want to get them sensitized to touching their paws by massaging them regularly. Then they won't be so freaked out. They'll still be freaked out-- just not as much! :)
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 12:00 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I just take the nail clippers and snip the ends. I cant always get them all at once but i try to move as fast as i can with out hurting her(cutting to short) So far so good. I usually only have to go the front paws
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 1:45 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Good for you for not declawing...it's horrible!! anyway, just use big toenail clippers for humans and take the tip off, you can do that every week to prevent scratching...I have been doing it for years on mine and no scratched furniture...it will take time but mine now sit and are very calm b/c they are used to it...they get more worked up if I wrap them in anything....goodl uck
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 5:22 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I used a muzzle on mine when I trimmed their nails. But if you decide to use one make sure you have some help putting it on them! Here is a link for a cat muzzle

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:13 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• The pedi-paw works for my cat... I just have hubby hold him up in the air and I work on one foot at a time... but watch out for the back legs.... they can kick like nobodies business. LOL Anyway, pedi-paw is the fastest thing I've found. My boy is getting better, cuz he knows he gets a treat when we're done. When my boy was little bitty, I'd catch him fast asleep and clip the tips of his hypodermic nails with a pair of regular nail clippers. Oh, and the scratching post only makes their nails sharper...
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 6:41 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Nail clippers
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:18 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I too started my cats when they were kittens and now they have no problem. They may vocalize their opinion but they lay still. I have tried pedi-paws on my dog and it works great. My cats are so good I havn't tried it on them. Make sure to use cat clippers. I recommend the ones that look like little scissors. You could also invest in a muzzle or cat bag. Good luck.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 8:37 PM on May. 2, 2009