My son is due for his 2 month shots..... should I give him tylenol?

I know someone who gave it 4 hours before, right after, and 4 hours after.... any suggestions?

roberts_mommy09

Asked by roberts_mommy09 at 12:03 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Give it 15 min before the appointment.
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 12:04 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• It's a good idea to give it to him about an hour before you take him for his shots. By the time he gets his shots, the tylenol will start working.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 12:05 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Sorry, worked for my kids when I gave it right before the appointment.
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 12:06 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Wait, I thought that we weren't supposed to give tylenol or any of that sort of thing to a child under 2? Did I just misunderstand or something?? I'm confused... :(
    Anonymous

• My doctor always told me to give it just before we got in the car to go to the appointment. Another good trick is to nurse or give a bottle during or right after the shots - it really helps to calm the baby back down and help them forget the discomfort.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:09 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• We postponed vaccinations until after baby turned one. Gave one shot per visit. Only single dose, preservative free vaccines, and read the insert before allowing the shot to be given.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:17 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I would give it an hour before and then every 4 hours for that day... and then as needed the next couple of days if he is fussy
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:23 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I would also just give it to her right before packing her up in the car. It's only a 5 minute drive to the pediatrician's office. If you're wondering how much, you can call your dr's office and they can tell you based on your child's weight.

I agree that nursing during or right after helps a ton to calm them down. It gets easier for them to calm down each time too. This last time my daughter just whimpered for a minute then was done. She was smiling at me by the time we got to the car.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 12:23 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• anon 9:28...you're not supposed to give cold medicine...you can give tylenol based on weight and motrin after 6 months....
    I give my DD tylenol about 1/2 hour before her shots and it seems to help afterwards...then every 6 hours for the day b/c she gets a little fever and feels crappy.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:27 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• You aren't supposed to give cold medicines to children under 2 (some say under 6). Those were all pulled off the market.

But pain meds like tylenol and motrin are fine. Just be sure to use the infant version. Leaving a baby in pain or not treating a high fever is not a good thing to do.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:28 PM on Apr. 28, 2009