My friend has an IUD but is having pregnancy symptoms

If she is pregnant would she be able to carry the baby or would there be a risk of birth defects because of the IUD? I'm asking because I want to be excited for her but if she can't carry the baby to term, I don't want to make her feel bad.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:17 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• She needs to take a pregnancy test. I have an IUD and I swore I was pregnant one time and nope I wasn't.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 12:37 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• She should find out if she is ASAP. The IUD isn't known to cause birth defects, but leaving it in place does have a high miscarriage rate, and a high chance of uterine perforation and other serious complications. I got pregnant with an IUD in place in February. It is very unlikely but does happen. The doc (or midwife in my case) will remove the IUD and they will probably want to do an ultrasound because of the higher chance of ectopic pregnancy if you get preggers with an IUD in. Everything turned out ok for us so far, we are past the highest miscarriage risk and looking forward to our new baby in November.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:42 PM on Apr. 28, 2009