any moms teaching their babies sign language? Does it work and how old?

NYmommaINbend

Asked by NYmommaINbend at 12:22 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My sister did it with her daughter from about 6 months old. It was amazing! Now she's 2 and speaks very clearly and in full sentences.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 12:23 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• i taught my daughter some simple signs but you do not have to teach them the right sign just something that will let you communicate with them my DD was 8 mths old when i started with her
    maryjoan2157

Answer by maryjoan2157 at 12:24 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• It is good for fUN TEACH HIM MOON
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 12:24 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• i started teaching my son at 18 months becuz he wouldnt talk and he knows about 20 diffrent signs he is now 2 1/2 and he still dont talk much though
    Lacrisha

Answer by Lacrisha at 12:25 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• cup hand upside down up in the air- moon
    Baby Signs book
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 12:25 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I taught the babies at the daycare where I worked. I does wonders for some kids. I would start from birth. Your child won't sign back at birth, but, it gets them used to it and helps them to sign earlier. It's like talking, I talked to my son from birth and he talked at 7 months. Some people talk to their kids , but, the kid may not talk till later. At least signs are easier than talking and yours may even sign starting at 3 or 4 months.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:28 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I started at about 4 months but she didn't seem to get it until about 10 months when she signed "tree" to me on a walk.
    Keep in mind that there are two versions of sign language that people use with babies. Some use "baby signs" and some use ASL, the standard sign language used by the deaf community. Most people recommend using ASL.
    We also used the videos "My Baby Can Talk" which teach ASL and my daughter loved them. They made it very easy for ME to learn the signs too.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:32 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Oh and if can delay talking a little since the child is able to communicate. Their frustration level isn't as high as non-signers so the push to talk is lower. BUT it also speeds up the development of the language areas of the brain. So while the talking might happen later, learning sign is actually stimulating the brain in other ways.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:35 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Yes, around age 6 months your child can start signing back to you basic signs, so you can start signing as soon as your child is born. My husband and I took several classes at the school for the deaf and both learned to sign (no we aren't deaf, nor are our children, it was before we were married and had children), so I taught my children to sign since they were born, earliest I've heard or had a child sign back was around 6 months.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 12:50 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• My children are older now (13,10,8,6) but still remember some of the signs. The daycare and I both taught them some basic signs. There r many books available on the subject and most of the research I have seen says it forms the same connections in the brain as verbal communication, also babies can sign earlier than they can verbalize because they don't have to wait for the vocal cord and tounge/mouth muscles to mature. The brain is ready before the muscles are.

Anyway, it is also a fun game! I always knew the alphabet in sign, and in school it was fun to talk to my friends and noone else knew what we were saying!!
    c_k_71

Answer by c_k_71 at 1:29 PM on Apr. 28, 2009