I found a good idea to keep your kids learning their letters?anyi else have one?

Make copies of the books at Beckers Store and have them practice every couple days. They are pricey but if you copy the handwriting pages it is good for sibling too!

2mothershelpers

Asked by 2mothershelpers at 12:29 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• We do a letter a day, The letter gets posted on the wall and my son has to find all the words in the house that start with that letter. It's kind of fun and we change the letter everyday.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 12:31 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I do a letter, shape , color, # , and theme for the week. What's beckers?
    LuvOurFamily

Answer by LuvOurFamily at 12:38 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• i like your idea!!!
    i made big, colorful flashcards. ("A", then a picture of a big red apple, etc...) she repeats after me and we make up silly little songs about them too.
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 12:38 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• My son knew all the letters at 15 months and I realized when he turned 2 that he could tell me all the sounds the letters make. We use the website Starfall.com and that's how he learned so quickly. It's a great educational site, and will grow with him once he's reading as well.
    heydooney

Answer by heydooney at 3:09 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• We used building blocks and as we were building towers or buildings we used the "blue A" block or the "purple M" block. That's all we ever did.

The boys just naturally learned to write their letters by copying them while drawing pictures and stuff.

They were exposed to their letters in other ways...on our walks we'd spell out the street signs, reading their books, etc.

We also like starfall.com. My oldest reads all the stories there, and my 3 year old is getting there!

The boys learn through play. They all recognized their letters before they were 2. We just feel they'll have enough structured learning when they start school, there's no need for it until then.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:44 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• We do the www.LetterOfTheWeek.com program. Plus I really like "The Letter Factory" DVD by Leap Frog.

Overall, remember to keep it fun. If you do workbook pages and flash card drills, you will destroy a child's natural love of learning long before they MUST do these boring types of drills to memorize boring stuff for school. Keep it fun. Use sidewalk chalk to write your letters. Make a game of who can find the most letter A's in the grocery store. Practice writing them in a shallow pan of chocolate pudding or cornmeal. Fun. Messy. Interesting. That's how preshoolers learn best.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:25 PM on Apr. 28, 2009