How & when should I teach my 6 mo. old to sleep on her tummy?

Last night she wouldn't get comfy unless I put her on her tummy, and yet she wouldn't turn her head to the side to breathe. This is the first time I have really had a sleeping issue with her. I am also noticing somewhat of a flat spot in the back of her head and I am sure thats from sleeping on her back since birth, right? I thought I was an experienced mom, but this one has me stumped. I can't remember how my four year old did it, and my twenty year old was born at the time when we were told to put them to bed on there tummys anyway. Some tips would be great!

mygirlscome1st

Asked by mygirlscome1st at 12:37 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would wait until she can roll on to her tummy. My pediatrician said wait until then but still put them on their backs and let them roll on their own, but once I knew she could roll both ways, I put her to sleep on her tummy. (She had been swaddled until then)
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:31 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I have NO idea, but both my kids were tummy sleepers, does she roll over both ways?
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:40 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• She doesn't roll over at all.
    mygirlscome1st

Answer by mygirlscome1st at 12:42 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Get the baby blocks that help the baby sleep on her side. The flat spot is from sleeping on her back. For what ever reason she may not be comfortable sleeping with her head to the side. The reason for side sleeping is to prevent choking on vomit durring sleep. I don't beleive in putting the baby on the back to sleep for that very reason! Not all baby's automatically turn their head and thus choke.
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 12:44 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I also used the wedge to keep my babies on their side and used it until they could control the weight of their head and turn it from side to side on their own.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 12:46 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Well I have NO idea, my kids are 15 and 10 and both were tummy sleepers from the get go
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:47 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Keep putting her on her back to sleep; when she is awake, put her on the floor on her tummy; this will help build muscle tone.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:28 PM on Apr. 28, 2009