husband left and might not be back for baby

my husband left yesterday for basic training and he might not be back for the babys delivery and the hospital wont let me record the birth....its really hard on me...his recruiters said that when i go into labor i can call his sgt.'s office and they will emergency fly him out here but you know how recruiters lie (i know from personal experience being in the service) does anyone know someone that has been through this?

dilemma1

Asked by dilemma1 at 12:41 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I personally haven't been through this but I would highly recommend you get a Doula. You can find a doula in training for little to no fee.

Also consider having your baby at a birthing center so there are no "recording restrictions." If you need to have your baby at a hospital than stay home as long as possible so you can at least have pictures taken through out labor.

Also you can tell a family member to set up a recorder in a hidden spot or take a pic of the baby coming out and act like they didn't know the rules. ;)

Just know that if you do that you won't be able to use the video or pictures in law suits if that were to ever come up. GL!
    Anonymous

• My sister's husband was in Iraq when she went to the hospital to have her baby. She didn't even dare hope that he would be home for the baby, but she was excited to have him there for two weeks after the baby was born.
    tnt_32

Answer by tnt_32 at 12:48 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• you might want to inquire and explain your situation to the hospital and see if there are any exceptions to the rule. i wanted photos taken at my delevery and i just had to sign a paper saying that i was using them for personal use and nothing else. i would really call and ask.... good luck
    busymamma503

Answer by busymamma503 at 1:04 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• um i would film it anyway its ur kid and iv never heard of them not letting u but ok...um get a doula and look into birthing centers
    Lacrisha

Answer by Lacrisha at 1:06 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• First let me thank you for the sacrifices you and your family are making for the rest of us. I agree with you that some times recruiters don't have the most accurate information and once you have signed, is a done deal. I think that the Doula is an excellent idea, she won't replace your DH ever but she can make your life easier during this special time. I would make records for your child and DH every day like T- 2 weeks and this is what I have done for your nursery, etc. Also make a book in Shutterfly for your husband so he feel sa littl ebit included in the final stages prior to your child's arrival. record every thought you have, take many pictures and make him a nice book.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 1:08 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I'm in a similar situation, or at least will be come June, I'm due the 15th of June. My SO is supposed to be gone for two weeks of Guard Training, putting my due date right in the middle of his training. He has requested to go for the training at a later date, or at least get time off to be at the hospital.. but I don't see either happening. I hope that the hospital allows you some way of recording the birth, have a family member tape it, or that the recruiters were not lying to you and he will be there. My prayers are with you!!! Good Luck, and congrats!!!
    SlapHappi

Answer by SlapHappi at 1:14 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I don't know about basic... I just know about deployment... With deployment they send them home within so many days of your due date. If you go in before then, you're kind of on your own. I would call on your family to try to be here when you start dilating maybe? Is your family close by? It's not the same but you don't want to go it alone... Here's another thing to check out... see if your situation may qualify http://www.operationspecialdelivery.com/index.htm. They provide volunteer doula services for spouses whose husbands were severely injured or killed in the line of duty or whose husbands will be deployed at the time of birth. Like I say maybe they can make an exception!
    mommystiebler

Answer by mommystiebler at 4:21 PM on Apr. 28, 2009