I am confused...can my daughter eat this stuff or not, she going on 7 mos?

My Dr told me I could start baby food at 4 mos, but the books I have been reading said atleast 5 mos, so I waited till then. I have been feeding 1st foods and rice cereal since then. She will be 7 mos on the 1st, can I start feeding her 2nd foods? The book (babys first year) says at 7 mos you can start feeding 3rd foods?! looked at the labels in the stores and they had citrus and eggs etc in the ingrediants...I thought they had to be a year before they could have that stuff? She sits up by herself, gets on hands and knees to crawl, puts things in her mouth well and holds on to them, is able to eat well and is very curious in anything we eat, wants to lick our food (lol) I just bought these teething crackers that melt in their mouth, she really likes those. I just dont know if I should be giving her this stuff yet? She hasnt gotten sick. Some places/people say yes others say no? When did your kids start eating 2nd and 3rd food

FLMOM2008

Asked by FLMOM2008 at 12:55 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Go by what your doctor tells you, he or she is the professional. I would hold off on common allergy producers like dairy, eggs, and nuts,  and honey.  But anything else should be O.K.   I really recommend getting advice from the doctor only.  They are used to the questions and most familiar with your child.  The rest of us are just offering opinions based on our experiences.

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 1:03 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Truthfully, I always go by what the dr says. Otherwise my head would spin. I didn't start the third foods til my son was a year.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 1:03 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• by the doctors. and please note kids under age 1 shouldnt have honey. the doc could xplain that better then i could. but i agree the doc should steer u in the direction u want just call and ask. no harm. i know i called mine when i had a question. even the smallest things i wouldnt pester but if i needed help or was concerned i did call.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 1:07 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• IF she is teething she can have stage 3(also bigger appetite). Stay away from ANY gerber green foods!!! But like mentioned don't do the eggs, dairy, peanut butter, and honey until after she's one!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 1:07 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Doctors know very little about nutrition. Solids the first year are more for the experience of eating them than the nutrition. Honey and nuts should not be given before age 2. The other allergy trigger foods should not be given before age 1, these include (NOT a complete list) wheat, soy, dairy, citrus, egg whites, strawberries. The very best book that I have seen on feeding babies and toddlers is called Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron www.superbabyfood.com. You should be able to find it at your local library.
    Great early foods are: mashed avocado, cooked and mashed sweet potato, cooked and mashed beans (by one, they will be able to eat beans by hand), cooked and mashed zucchini.
    We started solids (brown rice cereal mixed with breast milk) at 6 months.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:22 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• THere's not a huge difference between those stage foods until you get the chunky ones. You can try feeding and see how your child does. Just done one at a time to figure out allergies.

It's actually a good idea to introduce theses foods. Recent studies have shown that avoid foods is what leads to allergies. If there are allergies in your family, than stay away from those. Also keep in mind, most of these babies foods have a very small amount of each tiem in them.
    Anonymous

• I don't do the jar foods. Just make ur own. Steamed veges and cut up small pieces of what ur eating that way u know what's in it.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:24 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• my kids were all eating baby foods (rice cereal and apple sauce) by 2 months and i went to 2nd foods at 4 or 5 months and my doc gave me the ok to feed him ANYTHING (except honey) by the age of 6 months- he said that the fish like chunk light tuna and flaked salmon were good sources of dha for them and then peanut butter was good (just spread it thin so that it doesnt cause choking) as long as theres no history of food allergies in ur family theres no reason to hold back any foods past 6 months- but all docs are different so double check with him or her first
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 1:25 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• There's no difference between Stage 1 and Stage 2 in Gerber except the size... they're both single-ingredient foods, but stage 2 you get more for your money. IMO stage 3 is a waste of money, because babies who can handle those textures can handle small bites or mashed table food, which tastes so much better (I took a bite of my daughter's stage 3 pasta primavera and immediately understood why it made her gag). My daughter is 7 months. She eats all the stage 2s, but I puree a lot of my own veggies (sweet potatoes, squash, etc), plain whole milk yogurt, Gerber puffs, cheerios (we just started those once I saw how well she gummed the puffs, but the puffs dissolve better), small bites of tofu, soft pears, mango, peeled grapes cut in 4ths, steamed carrots (VERY well-cooked), hard boiled egg yolk, avocado (mashed), banana (mashed or in little bites), Gerber yogurt melts, and saltines.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:16 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Doctors are not nutritionists. The AAP along with almost every other organization says to wait til at LEAST 6 months, but that waiting longer is best. Stay away from common allergens like milk, eggs, peanuts, strawberries, etc. If they're ingredients in those foods, don't buy those foods. Your baby's main source of nutrition right now should be milk. When she has enough teeth and over a year, she's ready for finger food. Til then, solids are just for experimentation and play. They're nutritionally useless. But if you want to give her something, make it yourself.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 2:17 PM on Apr. 28, 2009