Public schools vs. Christian schools and doctrine...

People who are not Christians are always complaining about how Christianity is forced on everyone. We aren't even allowed to pray in public schools anymore and talk about God. But every other religion can. To those of you who are not Christian, do you see that as fair? That our children can no longer freely express what they believe like yours can?
Public schools also do not allow for the option of God in their science classes so Christian children often end up confused and forced to put down answers that they do not believe on tests in order to pass classes.
However in Christian schools, not only are kids taught about Christianity but they are also taught about several other religions and also about the big bang theory...
so who is having what forced upon them now?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:07 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I agree anon 59.
    mrsbvader

Answer by mrsbvader at 2:12 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I think the key word here is "theory". I don't care what anyone else says, a theory is just that until it is proven otherwise. There is the big bang THEORY, the THEORY of evolution, the THEORY of intelligent design. Sad that it has to be made a religious issue. IMO, when it became such, they should have stopped teaching ALL of it.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 1:33 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Maybe I'm ignorant (and I do live in another country and hence a different school system)... but WHAT other religions are being taught in public schools? I certainly haven't encountered it with my childrens' schools. I was actually surprised at how `Christian`his public school has been.... Christmas concerts with religiously based songs, and his teacher told him that dead people go to heaven. I`m not complaining because I am all for teaching kids about different religions, but I just don`t see what you are describing where I am.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 1:38 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Well, in my public HS we were allowed to do whatever we wanted, be it pray, be it talking about God, anything. We were allowed that as long as we didn't spew any hatred toward anyone else. The part about not being able to pray in public HS that Christians tend to get angry over is the fact that EVERYONE (believers and non) used to have to pray, which isn't right. If you want prayer, like group prayer as a school, go to a private school.
    That said, I also went to a private school during grades 1-5. One thing I will say is that we were never taught about other religions, only that they existed and we needed to "walk the other way" from them. We were only taught the Christian agenda, really. I will never forget the day a nun told our class that if we didn't listen to our parents the devil would come from under our beds and get us!!!! ugh. So glad I transferred! lol
    sweetsea07

Answer by sweetsea07 at 1:39 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• They are not allowed to pray OUT LOUD in public schools. I defy you to show me one student kicked out for praying silently in their mind. Is it fair?? No. Should children be allowed to freely express what they believe?? IDK I'd be pretty pissed if my child came home and told me your child damned her to hell b/c she doesn't follow your diety. Science class is SCIENCE class. Keep your dogma out of it. If their faith in god is so strong they wouldn't be confused now would they.So yes, write down answers you are taught even if you don't believe them. It's called separation of church and state. Public schools fall under state, not church. Noone is having anything forced on them Christian schools are CHURCH related that's why they teach alternate theories. You want ID taught to your kids send them to christian school. Last I checked religion was not a required subject for state tests.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 1:43 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• In Christian schools, they are taught about how all those other religions are "false" and all the scientific theories are picked apart with scripture. I don't exactly call that unbiased "teaching".

If a public school is going to teach Christian "theories", they would have to give equal time to teaching the "theories" of Hinduism, Buddhism, Islam, Judaism, Shintoism, Taoism, Paganism, Scientology -- the list goes on & on. They don't have time to do that... not to mention the outrage families of "this" religion would have that the school was teaching their kids "that" religion.

That's why religion is best taught outside the public school system --- in the home & in places of worship.

The bottom line is - nothing is being forced on anyone. If someone wants their child to learn science from a certain religious perspective only, they can enroll them in private schools or homeschool them.

Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 1:45 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• sweatsea... I meant that they are taught evolution in a way as to say that it is true, period, end of story. They don't teach that there is the possibility of anything else.

Freela... I'm sorry that that was your experience in Private School. I was not in a catholic school and we were taught about muslims, JW, other Christian doctrines, Budda, etc....

and 2auntisticsmom.... and of course KIDS are going to get confused when they have been taught one thing at home and then go to school and our told something else... they are children and kids are influencable!
    Anonymous

• I agree.
    Personally I'm going to home school my kids. It is a lot safer,and I will know for a fact they are getting the education they need.

Public school only taught me what I need to know to survive in this world. It did not teach my the important knowledge on what will save me after this life is over.It pushes earths standards not God's standards.

Christian schools would be nice,but considering what is happening around the world. I would rather keep them at home safe with me.Even if my house was bombed I would have the peace of mind knowing we have spent our last moments with each other.
    mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 1:50 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• And yeah I re-read my answer. It sounds a little bitchy. Not how it was intended, but that's how it appears. I'm sorry if I offended with my wording. Not my opinion mind you, just the way it came out. ID should be left in the church and science left in the schools. There are far too many beliefs out there to be teaching them all. And well big bang is the only one that isn't religion related.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 1:50 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I have to agree to disagree anonyomous. Kids can get confused it's true, but my daughter knows what she believes in her heart and even though others say she's wrong, she can tell them what they want to hear to avoid an all out war. My point being if your child truly believes in ID no-one is going to be able to sway them from that. God will forgive if your child is forced to lie to pass a state test.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 1:58 PM on Apr. 28, 2009