i really don't have the patience for this.

im trying the whole underwear thing with my son and it's sooo aggravating. im about to give up. he doesn't pee on any kind of schedule so every hour i take him to the toilet and he either pees right before that, or right after on the floor. i've tried taking him every 15 min, then every 30, then every 45. and nothing is working. sometimes it seems like he's peeing every 5 min, and other times its every 2 hours. please helppp!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:10 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• take him outside to pee.. an take deep breathz.. lol it will get better..
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 1:13 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• How old is he? I was very lucky with my son, he was rather easy to potty train. I got the potty books and his favorite dvd with charaters such as Elmo, Bear in the big blue house, etc. and the special potty and potty seat to fit on the big toilet. We also did the potty rewards chart so he would get a sticker and a treat for going on the toilet too. But the thing that really encouraged him to go on the potty was that his older friends were going on the potty and we would invited them over and be so excited that his friends go on the potty like 'big boys' and he was encouraged to do it.
    MommaM2

Answer by MommaM2 at 1:14 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• First, calm down take a deep breath. like every other mom who has potty trained a child I understand that this potty training will click on your child's own schedule not when we (the parents) decide is time. Like any other skill they master it will take time and fine tuning. Your child isn't doing this to aggravate you or to drive you crazy, he just needs more time and if you are frustrated, just take a step back and let your child be in the driver's sit. When he is ready it will be so easy, so much easier on you and him. For now, just love him and let him be, put potty training aside and regroup for a couple of days. it will happen the average child takes anywhere between 1 and 8 months to be fully potty trained. and boys are known for taking in average longer than girls, so don't force it, it will happen in his schedule. Good luck and breath, this too shall pass. You can do it mama.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 1:16 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• LOL take him outside to pee? do YOU pee outside? no.. then you have to transition from peeing outside to peeing in a toilet like a normal person...
    Anonymous

• my grandmother painted flowers and such in her toilet bowl and then told the kids to go "water the flowers" when she wanted them to pee. they did it willingly because it was more fun than just sitting on the potty. lol.

i on the other hand tried a different tactic with my two boys. my oldest was 3.5 years old and flat out refused to use the potty because "why should I when little brother doesn't have too". well little brother is 18 months younger and not ready yet so after trying everything i could think of I took away his clothes. i refused to let him wear anything including socks because as soon as he had something on his body he would "go" wherever he was at. he had a few accidents the first day or so, but I made him clean them up and he got tired of that real quick and started to use the potty. once he was fully trained, I told him that i would let him have clothes back and leave the house as long as he...
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 1:28 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• continued to use the potty and not his clothes when he had to go. it worked great and he was trained in about 2 weeks. lucas his little brother was trained in a week at 18 months because once eli my oldest was trained, anytime lucas went in his diaper, eli would throw a fit about how dirty and gross he was and refused to play with him. lol.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 1:29 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Mine wasn't potty trained until four (though she was reading and tying her shoes by then)

Answer by rkoloms at 1:33 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Rather than taking him periodically, just put him in underwear and a t-shirt, keep the potty close by, and wait for the accident to begin. THen move him to the potty mid-accident. You have to be fast. But it WORKS! He'll get it very quickly... My daughter trained at 19 months... It was rocky at the start, but in about 4 days she was holding it for long periods, releasing whatever she had in there if I sat her on the potty (before we left the house), and after about a week she was telling me reliably when she needed to go. Especially since you're in underwear now, it's best not to go back because kids can read this as giving up on them, thinking they can't do it. He can! Take a look at the "3-day potty training" post on the "Potty training moms" group on Cafe Mom. Great info on the method I just described.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:26 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• One of the biggest factors in early toilet training readiness is how ready YOU are. If you are losing your patience, put him back in diapers for at least 2 weeks. Pack it all away, give YOURSELF time you regroup.
    If you don't want to do that, then try the bare butt method. Keep him in a smallish area with the potty nearby. When you see him start to go (that's why you don't want any pants at all), you quickly scoop him up and put him on the potty. This is what finally worked for my daughter. After 3 "scoop and runs" she got it and ran to the potty on her own. But your patience and tolerance for messes must be intact. If not, go back to my first suggestion - wait, rest, and regroup so you do have the patience he needs you to have.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:33 PM on Apr. 28, 2009