Theory of Intellegent design . . .

Do you have an objection to this being taught as a possible theory alongside Darwin's evolutionary theory and other theories?

Why/why not?
I am not specifying any particular deity (God, the Goddess, Lord Vishnu, the Flying Spaghetti Monster), just the idea of it as possible theory.

jennijune_21

Asked by jennijune_21 at 1:14 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think a huge misconception about ID is that it isn't "science based." ID IS science based!!! It does not rely on the teachings of the Bible, but on actual science. If you look into it, you will find that it is valid scientific study (even if you don't agree with it).

I think kids should be taught both, and then allowed to decide for themselves. Don't we want to teach them to use their own brains!!!! The Bible has nothing to do with ID.

I think not teaching ID is censorship. Because it is a scientific theory, just as valid as evolution. And it has nothing to do with the Bible.

However, I agree with mtnmomma too. I think all religions should be taught objectively in school. I have always loved learning about world religions. I teach my kids about what we believe and what other people believe.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 2:58 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Not really. But I don't think it can be taught as a stand alone theory without being tied to a deity. I see a classroom riot with kids saying it was created by Zeus instead of god. I think science classes should be left as they are. If parents want to instill the ID theory they can do that at the church of their choosing.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 1:28 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Answered at 12:28 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 by: 2autisticsmom
    Not really. But I don't think it can be taught as a stand alone theory without being tied to a deity. I see a classroom riot with kids saying it was created by Zeus instead of god. I think science classes should be left as they are. If parents want to instill the ID theory they can do that at the church of their choosing.
    **

I definitely see your point. It really could cause a huge ordeal, sadly, b/c everyone seems to think their own beliefs are right and most refuse to accept the fact that there could POSSIBLY be another "right" answer. And, even more sad, they have a tendency to teach their children this belief.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 1:30 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I can say the same about the people you tend to stick up for. Sadly people teach their children to hate or deny God. To be open for man's perception of what really happen in place to what really happened. The thought of another possibility would be silly since we know what God says on the matter.Why should we believe a man could know more than God? I believe the only ways for other paths to lead to God is by the different denominations. Or if they realize by the faults of mans excuses and they are proved that Christianity is the truth.That is all.

mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 1:38 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I personally don't think they should teach anything about how the earth/humans came to exist because no one knows the truth. They are all theories as to what actually happened. I think it would be nice if they had a class about the different theories of existence.

That being said, I really don't *care* that evolution is taught because I have let my sister know ( as I plan to do with my daughter) that it is a theory and each person has the option to choose whether they believe it or not.

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 1:39 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Or once they realize they cannot trust in man b/c man is not perfect and does not know everything,and that leads them back to Christianity.

That is what my last line should have said.
    mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 1:40 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Answered at 12:38 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 by: mo2a27

I can say the same about the people you tend to stick up for.
    **

I am not sure what you mean by this . . . ? I don't believe I singled out any one group - I was speaking of ALL groups, as a matter of fact.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 1:40 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• what hannawill said..... **thumbs up** If there was a class in school on ALL theories of how we came to be, I'd say sign me up! lol It would be so interesting to see the contrasts and parallels.

sweetsea07

Answer by sweetsea07 at 1:43 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Wouldn't it though, sweetssea07! I would take a class like that for sure.
    hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 1:45 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• hannahwill* sorry!!
    sweetsea07

Answer by sweetsea07 at 1:46 PM on Apr. 28, 2009