HELP! My one year old wakes up several times a night for his bottle!

My son just turned one and since we moved he has been waking up several times a night, screaming. As soon as I give him his bottle (filled with either water...juice....sometimes milk) he instantly falls back to sleep.

He used to only get up once a night and for a while he was actually sleeping throughout the entire night. But now it seems like it's every 2 hours. I'm exhausted!!

he has his own room and his own bed. He normally takes one nap around 10 or 11am, but sometimes has a second one around 2. His naps last about a hour to 2 hrs.

I dont hold him when he wakes up, just cover him back up, say "NiNite" and give him his bottle.
My hubby and I tried ignoring it, to see if he'd go bacl to sleep. But that turned into 30 mins of pure screaming! We have a 2 year old and we cant have him waking her up too.

HELP! How can I get him to sleep throughout the night?

ForestGrove_Mom

Asked by ForestGrove_Mom at 1:22 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Babies don't need juice or milk, especially at night. He gets his teeth brushed at night, and then is only water until morning; you do not want to deal with pediatric dental bills for rotten baby teeth.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:31 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I hope it's only water.
    Dana42

Answer by Dana42 at 1:45 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Our son is 13 months and we moved to our new house about 3 months ago. He is sleeping great now. At first he was teething and it was an entirely new place but we stuck to it. It starts rough but if you hang in there he will understand that no one is going to give him a bottle. Everynight you dothe same routine about the same time and each night he wil cry a little less. We have a schedule that we stick to pretty close and it helps. We feed him, bath him, diaper & pj him and we place him in his crib awake. We have a rainforest soother that we turn on for a slight sound and he will fuss sometimes for a few minutes but after that he is fast asleep. Usually he doesn't even fuss at all. And if he wakes up in the middle of the night we let him cry for a bit and he will fall back asleep. If he doesn't we go in and lay him back down and turn on his soother again. Again, he will cry, but each time the crying will get less and less. GL!
    MommaM2

Answer by MommaM2 at 1:47 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I'm sure the move has a lot to do with it. Do you think he'd sleep better in his sister's room??? Does he have comfort items from his old room?? If CIO doesn't work for you, perhaps the No Cry Sleep Solution would. I don't know much about it but I believe it's a lot like what you're already doing: go to him, cover him back up, pat his back and go, gradually increasing the amount of time before you go to him. He may also need more sleep. Many kids drop the morning nap between 13 and 15 mos but it can be a bumpy transition. I'll PM you about how I handled that with the twins. In the mean time, try letting him go to bed with a sippy of water and see if he settles himself on his own.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 2:35 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• You should never give him a bottle in his bed. Not only is it bad for his teeth and a choking hazard, by giving him the bottle every timehe wakes up crying, you're training him to continue doing it. You need to stop giving him the bottle and leave him to learn to put himself back to sleep. It's gonna take a few nights and you're gonna have to let him cry it out, but really, it's the best thing to do. At 1 yr old, he's really old enough to start on a sippy cup and get totally off a bottle. If you continue with the bottle, it will become a security thing for him and then you're really gonna have a hard time with it. Best Wishes.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 2:41 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• If the move is still new to him he probably needs a little more time adjusting. I know it is hard to listen to him scream and cry but they do eventually wear themselves out. Have you ever watched Nanny 911? All they do in those situations is cover them up and walk out of the room.......seems to work for them lol. Just keep at it :) Good Luck
    nikkileerue

Answer by nikkileerue at 5:00 PM on Apr. 28, 2009