Is it ok to eat peanut butter while BFing? I'm dying for a pbj sandwich but haven't had one b/c of allergy risk

calliesmommie

Asked by calliesmommie at 1:37 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• There is no special diet for breastfeeding. You don't have to worry about the allergy risks either unless there's a family history or noticed reaction.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 2:13 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• If peanut allergies run in you family don't eat it. If however you have no family history of peanut allergy than you should be fine. My ped said that we go overboard with the peanut/egg thing that most people/babies are fine to eat it.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 1:40 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• By the time it would enter the baby it would be broken down a lot. If you ate it at all during pregnancy you will be fine. They say not to give it to a baby because they can not digest it and its a fear of allergies. Our daughter is 7 months and the only thing she hasn't had yet is fish. but your baby will be fine as your the one directly eating it.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 1:45 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• There is no history in my family and that's all I ate during pregnancy! Woo hoo! Guess what I'm having for lunch!!
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:49 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I wouldn't worry about it.. they don't say anything about eating it while your pregnant.. and I think only if they had a severe allergy would it cause a reaction.. and it would be good to know about that early LOL!
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 1:50 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I eat them all the time. Unless you notice a reaction go for it!
    beccimae

Answer by beccimae at 2:26 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Something that I wonder about, if the child is very allergic, the PB could be on the mother's breath. Would that matter? I wouldn't be worried about it getting into the breast milk, it would be molecules of protein and so forth by that time. But I know of people getting allergic reactions when the peanut plant is in the same room- so I wonder about peanuts on the breath.

Answer by Bmat at 3:12 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• If no alergies, then eat way. Recent studies have showns that avoiding foods and then introducing them later is actually contributing to the allergies in the country! Go figure. They never can make up your mind. I'd recommend eating and just making sure there is no reaction. If it's OK, then eat them now and then.
    Anonymous

• Rather than take the risk, get sunflower butter, made from sunflower seeds.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:43 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I didn't hear about not eating peanut butter while breastfeeding until my baby was about 10 months old. I figured by that time it was okay and kept on eating. But I agree with one of the other posters, if you have a family history of peanut allergy, I wouldn't run the risk.
    Anonymous