Why does every single zoo have free-roaming peacocks?

Seriously. Every zoo I've been to in my life, all across the country, lets peacocks roam free. Is there some tax code or something that says you're not a real zoo until that first male peacock is strutting around by himself?

RanaAurora

Asked by RanaAurora at 1:38 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Because peacocks are bad tempered little peckers who will chase you down and, when they get close enough, fling themselves at your head in hopes of pecking out your eyes. And, being a zoo keeper gets boring. Sometimes a zoo keeper needs a little tourist-flailing-arms-and-running-in-terror-of-a-peacock-in-hot-pursuit show. That's why zoos let peacocks roam freely. Plus, they are very pretty. Have you seen them?

21stCenturyMom

Answer by 21stCenturyMom at 7:57 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• LOL...it is true.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 1:41 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• lol your are right dont know why they do that .
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 1:42 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Good question. I don't know because those suckers are mean. Our zoo also has free roaming kangaroos...and on one hand I think it's cool because they're my son's favorite, but on the other hand sometimes they really close and stare you down like "Imma box your face off" and it kind of gives me the heebie jeebies.
    aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 1:58 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Haha. I wondered that myself! A peacock at the Woodland Park Zoo in Seattle actually came right up to me last month and spread open his feathers. It was like he was posing for me. I did get a great pic though!
    feministmama

Answer by feministmama at 1:59 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Hrmm I've never seen that at our zoo. Maybe its just all the ones you have been to. Want to come visit ours? I'd like to see a free struttin' peacock at ours.
    SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 1:59 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• My zoo doesn't have any... they probably killed them. They kill everything though. =(
    Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 2:09 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I love the free strutting peacocks. An enclosure might be hard though because peacocks are excellent jumpers. It would have to be super tall. :) The zoo I was married in had free roaming peacocks. Wish that they would have gotten in some of the shots!
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 2:09 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• our zoo doesn't have peacocks at all, and none of the animals run completely free but they do have an enclosure for wallaby's and emu's that you can walk threw and they can come out onto the walkway but you have to go threw 2 fences to get to them. And the bird area lets the birds fly around but again, you have to enter they're area.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 2:10 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Hey there are no peacocks here. Too many people drooling over fried bird.
    Momma_Halo

Answer by Momma_Halo at 2:21 PM on Apr. 28, 2009