To get membranes striped or not??? Does it work does it hurt... ANYONE????

candlefire22

Asked by candlefire22 at 1:41 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It hurts a bit. I had it done 9-11 and had my daughter the 14th. It is to help prevent going over your due date and can only be done if your dilated and effacing already. It gives you cramps and a small amount of bleeding but nothing to bad. Its a little more painful than a vaginal exam but is over in about 30 seconds.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 1:43 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• No it doesn't hurt, it is very safe. All they do is take there figure & rub around the cervix & water sack (or whatever its called) to loosen up any mucus build up around there (it gets thick during pregnancy) This way it is easier for the water to break on its own.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:45 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I had mine done too, it does hurt a bit, I had some bleeding for a day and a half but nothing. I ended up getting induced, some I know have had it done and went into labour the next day!! Depends I guess

Lizamafers

Answer by Lizamafers at 1:45 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• It is very painful and it doesn't work.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 1:45 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• It hurt a lot! And then didn't work. A lot of pain for nothing.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 1:51 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I havent it done but thats what doctors say:

Practitioner may offer to "strip your membranes" to help start your labor. This procedure usually feels like a vaginal examination, although it sometimes can be painful or cause cramping. The practitioner places her gloved finger through the cervix and sweeps the amniotic membranes free of their attachment to the lower part of the uterine cavity. This process is believed to release hormone-like substances called prostaglandins, which help to ready your body for labor.
    While some experts believe that stripping the membranes causes you to go into labor that day, the only research on this procedure was done by a group of midwives who stripped the membranes of a group of their patients at every visit to the office after 38 weeks gestation. Their findings showed that patients who had this procedure were less likely to go past their due dates.
    polkamama

Answer by polkamama at 1:53 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• A little pain, but really not bad. More of a discomfort. I went into labor a few hours later (15, I think, or something close to that).
    YzmaRocks

Answer by YzmaRocks at 3:45 PM on Apr. 28, 2009