I just weaned my LO and am feeling a little sad about it. Anyone else have sadness about weaning?

He is 15 months and he is rather upset by the whole thing and now I am feeling blue about it.

Nathskitten

Asked by Nathskitten at 1:45 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's not uncommon to feel a little blue when you wean. Nursing is a special time between mom and baby and "moving on" can make you feel a little melancholy. There will be a lot of those times in your life. My oldest child is almost 12 now and sometimes when I look at how much she's changed since infancy, I sniffle a little bit. :)
    IMHO, you can always change your mind and continue nursing for a while longer if you feel you aren't truly ready to wean. If you ARE ready, just remember than weaning is a natural milestone. While some babies take it better than others, you aren't causing him harm or lasting trauma to go ahead and wean. You feel sad and he feels upset now, but it won't last forever. :)
    TexaBamaBaby

Answer by TexaBamaBaby at 2:39 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• My daughter could care less by the time I fully weaned her, and I kept one feeding a day (first thing in the morning) for SOOO long because I didn't want to give it up. But I was pregnant and my supply had really dropped, so my daughter had moved on. I was sad for a few days when I finally stopped, but it passed... Soon after that, she actually started getting MORE cuddly, I guess because of the age. You'll find different ways to bond and be close... But yes, sadness is totally normal!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:22 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I cried when we took him off the bottle at the same age. It was my "snuggle time": with him it was very hard
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:59 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• When my daughter weaned herself I was so sad. This is very normal. You can certainly donate breastmilk to a milk bank.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:45 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• DId you wean out of neccessity ? I Bf until my son was 2.5 but i know what you are talking about because I had to go back to work early this time I only BF in the morning and at night and it makes me really sad because I can tell my DD would be bf all day if she could. when i come home she goes crazy trying to get to her nummies.
    Anonymous

• aww,.yes:( i breastfed until a year,..when i stopped i wished i did it a little longer,.but it was the best times of the day!
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 4:51 PM on Apr. 28, 2009