getting ur kid to pack on some pounds?

PLEASE DONT BE MEAN IM ASKING FOR HELP!!!

I have a 2 years 7 months old son he is behind in alot of stuff and im thinking of getting him tested for atism. He is the size of a 18 month old and i use to think it was becuz he was a month early but now i really just dont know. He has to have tubes put in his ears again but he has to be 30 lbs first and he is only 22lbs i really need to know what foods will make him gain but i want healthy was not soda or candy. Ok and to add to that do any of u know ways of getting ur kid to talk he only says about 10 words and i FINALLY got him walking 6 months ago. He wears glasses and has been tested for things like CF and he dont have it. Every time I get him up to 26lbs he gets sick and looses 4 lbs everytime and the doctors seem like they dont give a sh*t. What do i do??? I pray for God to help my baby everyday but im starting to lose faith in him as bad as that sounds PLEASE any help

Lacrisha

Asked by Lacrisha at 1:46 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try pedia sure. Go back and add rice cereal to applesauce. Bump on the log(peanut butter with rasins on celery) or cream cheese on the celery. My son was having problems gaining weight and put him on pedia sure(he passed a month later so I don't know if it would have worked).
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 1:54 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• well he really dont chew his food so idk about celery ill try
    Lacrisha

Answer by Lacrisha at 1:59 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Why does he need the weight? My dd is 23 lbs (20 at ent, but different scales can be off) and she's getting tubes next month. She's not gaining a lot very fast either. She wears one year old pants, too. But she's healthy, eats more than the other kids in her class and talks up a storm. She didn't always, though. She's been a bit behind on the speech probably becuase of the contast ear infections. If his ears are bothering him, he may not want to talk or it may feel funny or hurt. If he can talk, but just isn't, I would push him too hard, unless a doctor or speech therapist recommends it. Kids can be stubborn and just not talk because they can tell you want them to! :)
    Anonymous

• What does your pediatrician say about his weight? If the pedi feels he needs to gain weight to be healthy, he/she should be able to give you some tips on that or send you to a nutritionist.
    In the mean time, put butter on everything you can for him, cook with heavy cream if you can or do half milk, half cream for his drinks, cook with olive oil, and as a PP mentioned, pediasure. You can also let him have other high fat foods such as cream cheese, and ice cream.
    I'd have Early Intervention do a speech/language eval as well. There may or may not be anything going on but at least you'll know. While you're waiting for the eval, be sure to talk, talk, talk to him, get him to use his words as much as possible (don't give in to grunts and pointing but you can say something like: "oh, you want your truck" or "do you want the blue car or the red car" etc.), and read to him every day. Good luck!
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 2:30 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Avacado, sweet potato's, pasta with some olive oil, butter (not the healthiest but every once in a while is ok), yogurt, smoothies with some or all of these will wrok nicely!
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 3:31 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I don't understand the part about having to be 30lbs for tube surgery when they do it on babies all the time!

As for "packing on the pounds"...if the doctors aren't concerned, the...I'm sure you have your reasons for wanting him to gain weight. (not knocking!)

He was a month early, and they still adjust developmental things until they are two. That's not to say that he couldn't still be a little late.

As for speaking, contact Early Intervention...or because of his age I think you might have to go through the special education department in your school district. Call them, tell them your concerns. They will start evaluations and let you know what services (therapy) he's eligible for and give you some ideas how to help him before they start (they usually go by the school year)

All three of mine were in services for something at some point.....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:59 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• its becuz its the 3rd time and they want to take out his adnoides (idk how to spell it)at the same time
    Lacrisha

Answer by Lacrisha at 12:02 AM on Apr. 29, 2009