Do you think this could be b/c of our pet sitter?

We went out of town this weekend and left some friends to stay at our house and watch our dog. My dog has always played so well with my 8 month old and let her crawl all over him and he'd just lay there next to her. But, today he's been growling and barking at her every time she comes near. His tail is still wagging when he does it, but it just worries me. Do you think our sitters could have done something to him?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:54 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Pets

• I don't know what they could do in 1 weekend to make the dog act that way unless they beat it constantly. he might be playing if they played rough with the dog. Its hard telling but usually the tail wagging is a good sign its playful.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 1:56 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• im going to have to disagree with brailynsmama08. dont always trust a wagging tail. when one of my friends was really young, she was bit by a dog who was wagging its tail but also doing a little growling. she had stitches in her face. i would just be careful and maybe you or another adult should try putting your hand in your dogs food bowl or pulling on this or that body part on your dog and see the reaction. I do agree that a week doesnt seem long enough to make the dog real aggressive but then again you never know. If the sitter was taking the food away or was pulling too hard on your dog, it could've left a bad taste in ur pooches mouth. Oh also, dogs who are planning on biting will duck their heads down low and growl under their breath. If their head is held high, it usually means their happy....usually...
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 2:08 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I don't think it would have been them and the dog wouldn't treat the child differently unless the child hurt the dog. Is that possible something happened that the dog didn't like?
    Anonymous

• Maybe he is in pain. I would have him looked at by your vet.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 2:14 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• ive grown up with animals all my life,and ive watched dogs complete persona/attitude change towards people in a day. im not accusing but i would make sure the pet sitters didnt do anything to him. and also i agree he could be in pain and i totally agree with grabbing different parts of him to see his reaction. and i would slowly re introduce the baby and the dog into playing again.
    LA09TKP

Answer by LA09TKP at 2:55 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• maybe he is mad because you left him at home. Show him some extra loving!
    Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 11:11 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Yes, there is a good chance... Next time make sure you get a professional pet sitting that will give him good attention and treat him properly...
    VERY odd......
    But, who knows for sure..

*sounds like you need to call a trainer...They will come to your home and work with you..
    Needs to be done on your property near your child.. ( the trainer needs to work in the dogs own area and surroundings)

BE careful
    nuvetmarie

Answer by nuvetmarie at 6:45 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• A wagging tail does not always mean a happy dog. If he carries it high, and wags with enthusasm, then he's probably happy, but a stiff tail, usually held at body level, especially if the dog is tense, usually means a dog that is indecisive. In your case, probably means the dog has the instinct to warn the baby away, but still loves the baby (indecisive). I'd say the dog is probably in pain or just doesn't feel good. Whatever. it still doesn't want to be bothered by a baby.

in any case, the dog needs to see a vet to rule out any problems, and keep the baby away. So far, your dog is warning the baby to stay away, but an 8 month old baby doesn't know that a growl means stay away, and the dog could bite, even if he has never done that before.

How old is your dog?
    Kauna

Answer by Kauna at 8:09 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• the dog may be hurt have you tried to feel around on him to get a reaction?
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 3:32 PM on Apr. 30, 2009